2013 Suspension Rebuild Advice Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

602Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need a sanity check:
My Gen1 has 72K on her and my rebuilt shocks are done at 2yrs and 15K with light use. The truck is off road a decent amount, but typically forest roads and not at high speed. I'm going with rebuilt Gen2 Shocks with the Mikra kit and want to replace all of the other necessary wear items in the front end. There are multiple threads on this, however, I have a few new questions i wasn't able to find the answers to.
1) It was recommended to run Gen 2 upper control arms on my Gen 1 as they are slightly stronger and have a serviceable ball joint. Currently, the Gen 1 Moog replacements are MOOG RK622933 / MOOG RK622934 and are $58 at Rock Auto. I cant find the Moog Gen 2 replacement part # and the Motorcraft Gen 2 upper control arms are around $180 from Tasca. Is this actually an upgrade?

2) For the Gen 2 Rears, are the KHC Brackets necessary for shock life longevity and performance?

3) For the front end, I plan on replacing the top hot, isolator, and spring with OEM Replacements. I read in another thread that the MONROE 906963 (https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2998383&cc=1444700&pt=7600&jsn=10482) top hat and isolator combo will work and is significantly cheaper than the Motorcraft parts. I run at mid-perch today and shoud be at mid-perch height with the Mikra kit and OEM Springs. I'm open to other springs, but don't want the additional lift which could cause CV issues.

Here's My Parts list with approximate pricing:
2018 Gen 2 Shocks $800
Mikra MFG Retrofit Kit $800
MONROE 906963 (Top Hat / Isolator) $125
Moog Control Arms $115
OEM Springs from Tasca $275
KHC Rear Shock Mounts $200
Total Parts $2315

What would you guys recommend? My steering rack was replaced @ 40K so I don't think anything needs to be replaced there yet. I ordered this truck new from ford and want to keep it on the road as long as possible. The more Gen 2's and Gen 3's I ride in, the more I like my Gen 1.

Any and all advice and comments welcome.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Those KHC rear mounts require you to completely grind off the plates that surround the factory strut horn, (aka the thing that the tabs are welded to). That's a lot of work in a tight area. And although the G2 shocks are bigger than the G1, they are valved for a lighter truck, meanwhile you have an old set of leaf springs that were never arched to get anywhere near the travel thats possible with Deavers. If there's another $1600 or so hiding in the couch then new rear springs would give you a " cushmonster" ride that beats any production truck ever built.

OP
OP
602Raptor

602Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those KHC rear mounts require you to completely grind off the plates that surround the factory strut horn, (aka the thing that the tabs are welded to). That's a lot of work in a tight area. And although the G2 shocks are bigger than the G1, they are valved for a lighter truck, meanwhile you have an old set of leaf springs that were never arched to get anywhere near the travel thats possible with Deavers. If there's another $1600 or so hiding in the couch then new rear springs would give you a " cushmonster" ride that beats any production truck ever built.
I'm going to do the mounts now and save the $ for the Deavers later this year.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Me too. Unless I can find a deal on some bigger 3.0 shocks and build a through the bed shock mount/tire tray instead.

Attachments

• 20240315_205033.jpg
    20240315_205033.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 8