I broke my center console with fire extinguisher mount

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, I'm stuck. I got the console loose, but I'm wondering how much of the shifter assembly I have to take apart to be able to replace the console. Any tips?

Here's a pic of the console I got on eBay, so I was hoping this thing laid on top of the shifter, but now it looks like I'm going to have to do a shifter transplant?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Steve-O

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Its pretty easy. It 4 (8mm?) bolts that hold it down. Once those are out pop the cable off. Once you look at it, its pretty self explanatory.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There's seems to be a lot of electronics cables. Do those come with the shifter assembly when you pull it out?

Steve-O

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As far as I remember, its just 2 harnesses that you unplug. And a small one for the shifter lights.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Success! I think. I'm thinking I'm not gonna be able to put Humpty Dumpty back together again...

nevymasy.jpg

ve2apanu.jpg

5yquryra.jpg

2yva8uvu.jpg

usy7ete8.jpg

pyjasyza.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, I was able to put it all back together again (it's a miracle!). Lessons learned:

1. Disconnect the battery before you start pulling cables and harnesses.

2. Pick a spot to put all the bolts you remove. ONE spot. Otherwise you'll lose some.

3. Don't attach anything heavy to the back cover of the center console.

4. Careful removing the 12V receptacles. A hammer is not the ideal tool to remove those (although very effective).

5. The rod that attaches to the shifter (what you actually pull and push to shift) just pops out. No special attachment. Pry gently with a screwdriver and out it comes.

6. Remove the console safe BEFORE you attempt to remove the center console. Ask me how I found this out (the hard way).

I need a new spot for my fire extinguisher. The back of the center console is a good spot for a smaller extinguisher, but after this experience I'm done messing with that. I need a new spot.

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would still work, but instead of mounting it directly to the rear trim piece I'd fabricate some kind of mounting bracket (maybe one that attaches using the rear bolt holes of the center console). That way the Extinquisher is in the same spot, but there is no weight on anything plastic.

I keep toying with a similar idea to make a vertical gun rack using the same mounting point... Haven't put a lot of planning into it yet, but I think it could work. :)