Got Rear-Ended, Need Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is that since your body shop is not certified by ford for aluminum work (assuming this since he doesnt have their tools,) they wont even talk to him about the parts. I just checked some part numbers in quite a few different parts interchange catalogs. - 100% the same bed part numbers 2017-2018 all the way through. Ford not selling beds complete is not something new, they typically dont for most offerings, this is why people seek out a salvage bed assembly, assembled by the factory like it should be. I happen to have 2 one in white and one in silver - would probably run close to $3k+ shipped to Cali. PM if you need one.

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PS - this is also no knock on your bodyshop. It is very costly to get certified by Ford for Aluminum work, very few have done so at this point. The investment is 6 figures.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FWIW, unless you've used the shop before or seen their work, don't assume they know what they are doing. I used two different, highly rated/recommend paint shops, and both of them did poorer work than I could have done in my garage. One shop my family has used for decades.

All that said is I'd be looking to get a new truck, if in fact what they are saying is true. It will never be the same, and it sounds like that's unacceptable to you (and I don't blame you, I'm the same way).

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You lost me at “bent frame”. It sounds like they’ve got enough damage here to total the truck. Also, I’m sorry to hear about your sore back and neck. Make sure to get that fully taken care of. It also sounds like your current guy isn’t equipped to do the repair. You, unfortunately, need to find someone to perform the repair correctly, to your satisfaction, or get the vehicle replaced.

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You lost me at “bent frame”. It sounds like they’ve got enough damage here to total the truck. Also, I’m sorry to hear about your sore back and neck. Make sure to get that fully taken care of. It also sounds like your current guy isn’t equipped to do the repair. You, unfortunately, need to find someone to perform the repair correctly, to your satisfaction, or get the vehicle replaced.

I would tend to agree with this assessment as I wouldnt want the truck anymore either with a bent frame - although that wasn't what the OP asked :). It sounds like he wants to fix the truck.

The fact the he is still driving this around is what probably makes his insurance company think it is fixable, rather than pay out the ACV on an 18 raptor. I am sure the body shop would also love to have the job as it will probably be a $20k+ claim if they can fix it. It takes a lot to total one of these. Best thing to do is tell them it isnt safe to drive, get in a rental ASAP (assuming you have rental coverage) and let the rental bill start racking up. The truck will total much quicker that way. It is nothing for a claim like this to take a few months start to finish.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am normally the anti Dealer body shop person. Find a good private body shop, and stick with it. I have had the same shop for 30 years and thats where my car gets towed.

But in your situation, I am thinking I would find the best ford dealer with a body shop and put it all on them. They will have the ability to have ford send in a body tech to work on your truck if what they have on site is not capable.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Bent frame isn't the end all it used to be. Our frame is made up of three sections. Front, center, and rear. By design the frame is constructed for repairability. You likely need a new rear section of the frame. Based on your description of the damage I would guestimate you repair in the $25k-$30k range. Insurance will want to repair at that price point.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
no way the insurance company totals the truck.

The hell with it... Take the big payout, have the frame straightened.

Then drop the truck off at a shop for full long travel, fenders and bedsides, etc.

You'll probably still have money left at the end.