Gen 3 & R Front Differentials Grenading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xlover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At Raptor Assault they specifically tell you NOT to jump in 4WD because of the strain it does to components
We had a deeper discussion with the instructors at assault on this topic, it’s not so much jumping in 4WD itself is the risk. The big issue is being on the throttle or brakes during landing. Through the chat we had:
1)when done right 4wd not that much different in stress than 2wd
2) when it’s done wrong in 4wd it’s dramatically worse for the drivetrain than 2wd because the front and rear wheels will be spinning different speeds as the vehicle lands but not free to equalize as one set of wheels will be under load
3) they expect some of the drivers to mess up and stay on the throttle or brake while landing so 2wd is to protect the vehicles
4) they debunked “wanting to prevent too much speed at takeoff” he said they would move the start line forward to reach the target takeoff speed range if they let ppl jump in 4wd

bobbyph1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was a good read I’ll keep this in mind next time out and leave it in 2wd to be on the safe side lol

4wheelinAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had a deeper discussion with the instructors at assault on this topic, it’s not so much jumping in 4WD itself is the risk. The big issue is being on the throttle or brakes during landing. Through the chat we had:
1)when done right 4wd not that much different in stress than 2wd
2) when it’s done wrong in 4wd it’s dramatically worse for the drivetrain than 2wd because the front and rear wheels will be spinning different speeds as the vehicle lands but not free to equalize as one set of wheels will be under load
3) they expect some of the drivers to mess up and stay on the throttle or brake while landing so 2wd is to protect the vehicles
4) they debunked “wanting to prevent too much speed at takeoff” he said they would move the start line forward to reach the target takeoff speed range if they let ppl jump in 4wd
Makes alot of sense

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just received the notice from the ford dealer. Ford is replacing the entire front assembly. Diff case, Diff, CV shafts, IWE's. all under warranty because they grenades. Downside is truck has already been at the dealer for a month, parts are 2 weeks out minimum, so another 3-4 weeks till I can pick it up.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just received the notice from the ford dealer. Ford is replacing the entire front assembly. Diff case, Diff, CV shafts, IWE's. all under warranty because they grenades. Downside is truck has already been at the dealer for a month, parts are 2 weeks out minimum, so another 3-4 weeks till I can pick it up.
Ford is making your truck whole again plus keeping miles off your truck driving their loaner/rental…seems like an upside to me.