Gen 3 questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jetjock15

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all, thanks for any help. I did use google some but didnt find clear answers. I appreciate forums like this and your time. I really wanted a R but they are hard to find and I really have no reason for that bad a$$ motor. I do want a 37 package for sure. the 3.5 is fine assuming its all ironed out?

If anyone knows this stuff? I'd be looking at a Gen 3 new or used maybe. My dealer might be getting one soon but don't think it has the Recaros.

What years have the dumb start stop engine feature? I have a 2015 F-150 XLT and did the bypass which is fine but rather buy a year without

Is the 3.5 changed any for 21-23 years? Is there any issues? Ive seen a handful of times over the years people who have had some major and some minor issues, but I understand the pool of folks posting are a very small percentage of whats out there. Cam phasers?
I have a 2015 with 2.7 and its been trouble free for 140k so far. If reliability was at question at all, this might be enough a reason to spend more on the R.

Is there any suspension differances between 21-22-23, or really anything else of importance to look for?

Im guessing the moonroof is still questionable? I have a 19 Superduty with moonroof and I almost never use it so will probably avoid, though mine hasnt had any issues the 2-3 times ive used it.

Is there any big changes amoungst years? I think I read on here that 23s dont have front LS diff whereas 21-22 does.

Ive seen a lot of posts about heated steering wheel, anything I need to know? Seems like something I wouldn't care either way

Im new to the Gen 3 but I know some of you owners can just rattle these answers off, sorry for the dumb questions and thank you. I have an OG 2010 but its about that time to upgrade.

thank you

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey all, thanks for any help. I did use google some but didnt find clear answers. I appreciate forums like this and your time. I really wanted a R but they are hard to find and I really have no reason for that bad a$$ motor. I do want a 37 package for sure. the 3.5 is fine assuming its all ironed out?
Hard to find...check out Ken Grody
If anyone knows this stuff? I'd be looking at a Gen 3 new or used maybe. My dealer might be getting one soon but don't think it has the Recaros.
Is this a deal breaker?
What years have the dumb start stop engine feature? I have a 2015 F-150 XLT and did the bypass which is fine but rather buy a year without
'21s have it. Deleted for 22 & early 23s. Late 23s and newer (I believe) are getting it back.
Is the 3.5 changed any for 21-23 years? Is there any issues? Ive seen a handful of times over the years people who have had some major and some minor issues, but I understand the pool of folks posting are a very small percentage of whats out there. Cam phasers?
Engine change...no. Issues...refer to the sticky thread "things to look for."
I have a 2015 with 2.7 and its been trouble free for 140k so far. If reliability was at question at all, this might be enough a reason to spend more on the R.
Do it...Ken Grody Ford
Is there any suspension differances between 21-22-23, or really anything else of importance to look for?
No
Im guessing the moonroof is still questionable? I have a 19 Superduty with moonroof and I almost never use it so will probably avoid, though mine hasnt had any issues the 2-3 times ive used it.
Unless you special order, finding one w/out a moonroof will be damn near hard to find.
Is there any big changes amoungst years?
If you're referring to the Gen 3, no. Search this forum for the order guides and compare for yourself.
I think I read on here that 23s dont have front LS diff whereas 21-22 does.
Correct
Ive seen a lot of posts about heated steering wheel, anything I need to know? Seems like something I wouldn't care either way
If you don't care, don't worry about it!
Im new to the Gen 3 but I know some of you owners can just rattle these answers off, sorry for the dumb questions and thank you. I have an OG 2010 but its about that time to upgrade.

thank you
Sounds like you need to hang on to your "OG" till you do more research for yourself. Ump-teen pages of threads and some refuse to read them before posting. A search engine to make it easier, yet some refuse to use it. Happy readings to ya good Sir!

Last edited:

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
Hard to find...check out Ken Grody

Is this a deal breaker?

'21s have it. Deleted for 22 & early 23s. Late 23s and newer (I believe) are getting it back.

Engine change...no. Issues...refer to the sticky thread "things to look for."

Do it...Ken Grody Ford

No

Unless you special order, finding one w/out a moonroof will be damn near har
200.gif

OP
OP
Jetjock15

Jetjock15

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good guidance thank you! I have been reading the forum but when you start new the information has to be pieced together. Thank you.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, you're not gonna get much more than what's already posted in the various forum so... And some of it (perhaps a good portion of it) is repetitive.

OP
OP
Jetjock15

Jetjock15

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im glad to see you are wanting the 37 package. It is a huge upgrade over just putting 37's on a 35 truck......

in 3....2....1...
I did try to do some google research and it seems there are few minor differences, like bigger shock shaft lol. I don't know, might help with warranty also if it came with 37s versus added?

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
If you want 37's and don't mind paying the extra, just get it that way. With regard to the sunroof issues, they don't seem to be as big of a deal as they were on the gen2's. I don't see it very often on here and I have not any any issue with mine in 31000 miles.

Also, don't forget that there is no Torsen on the 23's. I don't even think it matters though. Not one person that I can recall on here has pointed out a negative effect of not having it.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want the 37 package definitely get it! To me its a bit overpriced and I didn't care about the wheels as I had some methods from my Gen 2. I think the 37 package is perfect if you eventually want 37s and no other mods and want to keep your warranty pristine.

If you're going to mod the crap out of it anyway so that your warranty is shot (powertrain wise) then Id spend the money from the 37 package on mods instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter