Gen 3 & R Front Differentials Grenading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dnpbakon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe another reason for no torsen diff...

or maybe it makes it worse with one wheel overspeeding in the air and when landing boom goes the diff...

is this a housing, or differential failure??
This could be a valid point.

I’d also point out the one I saw explode last weekend was a 23. So no torsion. Not sure if that would make a difference as I also saw a 22 with the same failure.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are the Torsen units in newer trucks the same design as older versions? Because the older Torsen units have been added to many thousands of regular f150 trucks for over a decade, and I've never heard of them having a high failure rate.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe another reason for no torsen diff...

or maybe it makes it worse with one wheel overspeeding in the air and when landing boom goes the diff...

is this a housing, or differential failure??
I had a housing failure on mine, the internals swapped right into a new case no problem.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As opposed to, say, the ‘baja’ course the set up ? not for nothing, but the trucks are locked in 4h baja at 50-70 mph over terrain that would tear a street vehicle in two.

I’m not disagreeing with you btw, just I’d like to understand how we’re significantly different in the various use cases.
Having done Assault, IMHO, there’s only one reason they tell you no 4wd and it’s because the takeoff is short and they don’t want you to pick up speed. The so-called jump was the weakest part of the day.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are the Torsen units in newer trucks the same design as older versions? Because the older Torsen units have been added to many thousands of regular f150 trucks for over a decade, and I've never heard of them having a high failure rate.
I believe the housing may have changed with gen3, but the gen2 diff housing goes all the way back to 2009...

Although I didn't go back and look again after I fixed my broken housing.. it seemed like the part number was up to 2020

edit 2022-2023 share the same part number, and 2011-2021 uses the same part number housing..

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’m just sayin’... I can get some pretty decent air at the 1604 / old sulphur springs road interchange, and that’s from a dead stop. Some day, if I ever make that light, I’ll post the video.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m just sayin’... I can get some pretty decent air at the 1604 / old sulphur springs road interchange, and that’s from a dead stop. Some day, if I ever make that light, I’ll post the video.
I just might set out and explore that area Smurf...see this jump you talk'en bout. lol

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having done Assault, IMHO, there’s only one reason they tell you no 4wd and it’s because the takeoff is short and they don’t want you to pick up speed. The so-called jump was the weakest part of the day.
i think its that and the expectation that some over enthusiastic short bus drivers wont take their foot off the gas midair