Gen 1 used prices going back up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Everybody on here thinks there year or mileage or truck is the best. No modifications do not add anything to your truck, it can actually depreciate the value of it unless you find just one person looking for those modifications. In my experience a modified car/ truck is worth less than a standard stock equipped car or truck.

I have over 130k in my truck, you're high if you think it's worth at or less than blue book. You couldn't recreate my truck with a used Raptor for 60k unless you stalked the message boards and bought all used/mismatched stuff and even then you'd have to do all the labor yourself - that is where the value comes in.

I freely admit an enthusiast would be the one buying it, which is why I said 'someone on this forum'. Similar trucks have sold for 60-80k, that's reality.

Used JKs sell for more than MSRP because they already have all the upgrades - are they depreciated, of course but they absolutely do not sell for at or less than a stock one because too many folks want one already finished and ready to play.

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I have over 130k in my truck, you're high if you think it's worth at or less than blue book. You couldn't recreate my truck with a used Raptor for 60k unless you stalked the message boards and bought all used/mismatched stuff and even then you'd have to do all the labor yourself - that is where the value comes in.

I freely admit an enthusiast would be the one buying it, which is why I said 'someone on this forum'. Similar trucks have sold for 60-80k, that's reality.

Used JKs sell for more than MSRP because they already have all the upgrades - are they depreciated, of course but they absolutely do not sell for at or less than a stock one because too many folks want one already finished and ready to play.

aren't you the same guy that was complaining that a dealership would not even give you book for it? Again, it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it not any more. I am not a buyer for your truck nor any 2010 as I have a 2011.

However, why does it matter you like your truck the way you have it, your way and the way you want. Obviously if you have 130 grand into your truck then you have money to burn and care not what any one on here thinks. If you think you are going to get someone to pay you 60-80 grand for it then you are the one that is high.

I once modified a 96 Nissan 240sx with an Sr20det. Had around 15 grand or so into it. I had to pull parts off of it sell them individually and then let the car go for 7500 once I had it back to the stockish stage. Imagine you will be looking at doing something similar. I lost around 5-6 grand.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
not only do i 100% agree with jamanrr, i have a little over 10 years experience on this topic and unless you are selling the truck lined with ******* or cannabis you wont see any return back on 90% of the stuff thats on your vehicle.

you can however part stuff out to make some money back to lower your loses.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
aren't you the same guy that was complaining that a dealership would not even give you book for it? Again, it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it not any more. I am not a buyer for your truck nor any 2010 as I have a 2011.

However, why does it matter you like your truck the way you have it, your way and the way you want. Obviously if you have 130 grand into your truck then you have money to burn and care not what any one on here thinks. If you think you are going to get someone to pay you 60-80 grand for it then you are the one that is high.

I once modified a 96 Nissan 240sx with an Sr20det. Had around 15 grand or so into it. I had to pull parts off of it sell them individually and then let the car go for 7500 once I had it back to the stockish stage. Imagine you will be looking at doing something similar. I lost around 5-6 grand.

Dealers ALWAYS try to screw you then try to sell it for more than BB. That really isn't a reliable metric.

As I posted, there are plenty of similarly equipped trucks that have sold for that price - historical evidence means more than your conjecture.

You aren't seriously comparing a 240sx to a Raptor? You could coat a 240sx in gold and it would still only be worth 5k because they literally only appeal to 16-24yr old Fast and Furious set - ie people with no money. You clearly don't understand the market for not only Raptors but all things desert & off road themed.

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

not only do i 100% agree with jamanrr, i have a little over 10 years experience on this topic and unless you are selling the truck lined with ******* or cannabis you wont see any return back on 90% of the stuff thats on your vehicle.

you can however part stuff out to make some money back to lower your loses.

Then you are ignoring the trucks from this very forum that have sold for the amount range I listed.

For **** sake, I'm not pulling numbers out of my ass, that is what the trucks have sold for.

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 AM ----------

I do love that two guys with less combined time in the forum are trying to educate me, who has been here since the beginning on what these trucks will bring.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i feel like you are trolling.

hey man, if you think you can sell your truck for 130k/60k then by all means. i cant wait to see the for sale thread.
no hard feelings, i honestly dont care. you are however living in a fantasy world.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score

because I'm using logic?

If you buy a used Raptor for say 30k and spend 30k on upgrades, you have 60k in your truck. <<< That truck would have less modifications than my truck and you would have to do all the labor yourself.

So tell me, if you had the money and knew you were going to modify a truck anyway (and were smart enough to do the math ahead of time) would you pay 30k for an unmolested truck, then sink 30k in parts, wrench for a couple weekends in your driveway OR pay the same for a truck with FAR more mods, installed by a reputable shop and start playing immediately.

It makes absolutely no sense to start from scratch and pay more or start from scratch and get less when you can buy one like you want it and still be money ahead.

We aren't talking about Honda hatchbacks here, we are talking about vehicles which sole purpose is to be a toy.

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

hey man, if you think you can sell your truck for 130k/60k then by all means. i cant wait to see the for sale thread.
no hard feelings, i honestly dont care. you are however living in a fantasy world.

I never said I could get 130k. I said I had more than that in it.

My particular truck is also featured on the ICON website, the RaceWorks website, the Westside Offroad Group website AND was featured on Extreme4x4 with Ian Johnson. We aren't talking about stubby antenna's, monster stickers and rockstar wheels.

Last edited:

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
then what dude was saying is right, if you have 130k in your truck and you know you will never get that back. you are going to be losing a lot of money when you sell it.

you will however make a lot more money if you returned the truck to stock and sell the parts individually. this isnt raptor specific, the fact that you think it is is hilarious. this is mod world specific.

AndysLog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
raptors arent made of unicorn ****, its a truck.
super nice truck for sure, but they come apart like every other truck ive ever worked on. thinking any amount of mods increases value over the dollar you spent on it is insane.

its a losing market no matter what side you are on, go look at the **** that ******* rhino lined his truck and come back and say 60k again.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
then what dude was saying is right, if you have 130k in your truck and you know you will never get that back. you are going to be losing a lot of money when you sell it.

you will however make a lot more money if you returned the truck to stock and sell the parts individually. this isnt raptor specific, the fact that you think it is is hilarious. this is mod world specific.

I never said I wouldn't take a loss. I said I could sell it for more than blue book, which is absolutely true.

I've been playing with vehicles for over 30 years, if you have to strip the parts off to sell the vehicle then you never had anything worth a shit anyways. Of course you lose money, but I have NEVER sold a modified vehicle for blue book or less, NEVER. I've had 1000hp corvettes, built jeeps, Porsche's, etc and I have always sold them for more than you could buy a stock one.

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 AM ----------

raptors arent made of unicorn ****, its a truck.
super nice truck for sure, but they come apart like every other truck ive ever worked on. thinking any amount of mods increases value over the dollar you spent on it is insane.

its a losing market no matter what side you are on, go look at the **** that ******* rhino lined his truck and come back and say 60k again.

I think we are talking past each other, I never said I would get more than what I paid.