GEN 1 Gen 1 Restoration Project / Cost Estimate help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EPDub

Reaction score
Raptor forum request

Dear fellow Raptor enthusiasts,

I hope this message finds you well. I am currently faced with a decision regarding my beloved 13 Gen1 Raptor that was involved in an accident. I went ahead and purchased it back from the insurance company for price of 10k, which means it now holds a salvaged/branded title.

I have been the proud owner of this truck for the past 8 years, and it has served me well. Fortunately, the frame, suspension, motor, and transmission were untouched in the accident. It has been under Ford's extended warranty (now void) and is still in great mechanical condition, although it does have high mileage and shows some signs of wear and tear.

A friend who owns a collision shop has inspected the damage and offered to handle the repairs for 10k. This would include several components such as the hood, headlights, grill and latches, radiator supports, radiator, radiator fan, AC condenser, transmission oil cooler, front bumper, driver and passenger airbags. Of those parts, some are OEM new, some OEM takeoffs, some aftermarket. At first glance, this seems like a reasonable deal, but I am not well-versed in this area and would appreciate some advice.

Recently, I had the opportunity to drive a 14 Gen 1 Raptor and realized that my 2013 model feels somewhat loose in the steering and suspension department. I believe it's time to consider the cost of servicing and replacing these worn-out components as well. It's surprising how gradually these parts degrade over time and feel "normal" until you experience a freshly maintained vehicle.

As someone who is not a mechanic, I would greatly appreciate your assistance in compiling a general list of items that I should address and the approximate costs associated with steering and suspension repairs. This could include shock rebuilding, bushings, bearings, dampers, and any other steering-related components that may need attention.

I currently reside in the Santa Clarita Valley area of SoCal, and I would also love to hear any recommendations you may have for independent shops in the vicinity.

In order to make an informed decision about whether to keep this truck for the long run or sell it in its post-accident, tired and worn condition, I would greatly benefit from ballpark cost estimates. As a reference, the truck has 115k miles on it, and the motor, transmission, and alignment are all running smoothly and have been regularly serviced. It's a stock truck with mid perch fronts on 35's, and it has been used extensively off-road but never abused.

Thank you all in advance for your valuable input!

Warm regards,

Attachments

• IMG_2669.png
    IMG_2669.png
    979.5 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2673.png
    IMG_2673.png
    856.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2672.png
    IMG_2672.png
    339.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2671.png
    IMG_2671.png
    348.8 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2670.png
    IMG_2670.png
    774.7 KB · Views: 113

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Having a mechanically sound Gen 1 with only $10 invested is a good problem . Is there a shop near you that can check the frame (and straighten it) before you begin?

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer...but your ok..so on to fixing...
Sounds like a $ pit..
Cant give $estimate..only a life experience.
Years back in late 80's i had a bad accident with my beloved Corvette...front end was toast...got estimate to fix of $12k...which was what car was worth at time...i also had an offer of $5k to sell it...I decided to fix..and the $12k was $20k by time it was done...
Your costs could double also and you still going to have a salvaged Raptor..so your never going to reciup the $...now it you love it as much as i did my corvette,go for it...but think for all the $ you will spend you could buy a nice low milage one .
IMHO
Good luck either way..

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understood he will have $20k invested and then the unknown$ costs..
$10k to buy it back and $10k to start repairs..
Having a mechanically sound Gen 1 with only $10 invested is a good problem . Is there a shop near you that can check the frame (and straighten it) before you begin?

Last edited:

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
Before the accident with 115k miles on it I would think it would be worth at least 30k. If you have 10k for buy back and 10k to get the damage fixed that would leave you 10k to throw at what parts that might be needed for the suspension. If it hadn't been in the accident, you would have needed those suspension parts anyway. So, you are at a breakeven point if you want to keep the truck, if you want something newer it's going to cost a lot more than 30k.

Last edited:

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Id be looking to put $20K down on gen2 or gen3, before trying to go thru the hassle of putting a wreck back together, and especially leaving it in someone elses hands..

unless the truck is sentimental, you're probably better off in an aluminum one.. my $0.02

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Id be looking to put $20K down on gen2 or gen3, before trying to go thru the hassle of putting a wreck back together, and especially leaving it in someone elses hands..

unless the truck is sentimental, you're probably better off in an aluminum one.. my $0.02
A big question is what is your time worth? Do you want to drive it yesterday? If so, then get the best G2 you can find asap and enjoy every mile. Life is short. If you love to wrench on it and want to do endless mods, (and you are patient), a salvage title Gen 1 is a great project

Last edited:

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Have to agree.

Love my Gen 1, but if it got wrecked and I could move to the aluminum body I would only for the rust factor.

Living in IL sucks, my cab corners are rusted through already, probably because it came to me from SD and MO as well, but still, it hurts. Put 5k into new rockers/corners and hope for the best or move on…choices.