Future Raptor Engines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Christ... There was just a thread about this a couple weeks ago! Designed for high speed off-roading, yes, but even that has a limit. The instances where the 2010-11 raptors were bending frames would have bent frames on the 2012-14's as well! In some cases it probably would have bent even with aftermarket reinforcement! The reason you don't see as much of a problem on the 12 and newer models has more to do with owners being more aware of the limits of the truck and not so much the extra quarter inch steel plate they "reinforced" the frame with.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Christ... There was just a thread about this a couple weeks ago! Designed for high speed off-roading, yes, but even that has a limit. The instances where the 2010-11 raptors were bending frames would have bent frames on the 2012-14's as well! In some cases it probably would have bent even with aftermarket reinforcement! The reason you don't see as much of a problem on the 12 and newer models has more to do with owners being more aware of the limits of the truck and not so much the extra quarter inch steel plate they "reinforced" the frame with.

2012+ are better than 2010-2011 because there is a tiny improvement in the frame, thats all Im saying.

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's Not what you were saying. You were making it out to be a major design flaw that was corrected in later years. It wasn't. It was a minor fix, that most around here further improve with aftermarket kits for extreme off-roading.

As for the raptor "V8 circle jerk" joke you keep trying to ram home...

You joined a Raptor forum, ********! Everyone here has a V8 powered Raptor and the vast majority absolutely love it! What did you really think the general consensus was going to be?

I was trying to be diplomatic by saying they would probably have an ecoboost option on the next Raptor, but you've convinced me. I now really hope the only engine they offer is a 10L V8 that only gets 2mpg and a 50 hp bump. I really hope that's the way they go for no other reason than pissing you off!

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't know if there will be a day when I can take a rice burner enthusiast serious about an off road truck. He is clearly trying to say the same engine setup will work in the desert. So where's the proof? Why wasn't the Eco available in the raptor yet?

We get it, you drive pavement princesses and would like nothing less from a truck you buy.

Turbo or supercharged v8 in the raptor? Sweet!

V6 turbo? No thx

Hazzard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your buying a 1/2 truck and looking for good MPG then the raptor is not for you period, no question about it hands down WRONG TRUCK! I'm sorry but 35" tires, 4x4, heavy as shit, 4:10 gearing ect ect means LOW MPG. I have owned and driven many boosted vehicles and I can 100% say if the only raptor engine was a boosted motor be it v6 or v8 I would not own one. Turbos and superchargers have there place and can be awesome but not in this platform as the only option. This truck needs a naturally aspirated large displacement V8 its what the demographic that this truck is geared for wants. I'm not saying don't offer options but Ford would lose more buyers then it would gain bringing the EB as the only engine for this truck.

Cleave

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Raptor was designed for high speed offroad driving so yes, THERE WAS AN ISSUE. If there wasnt an issue Ford wouldnt have reinforced the frames 2012-2014. I never said all Raptors from 10-11 had bent frames but those years you are more likely to bend your frame compared to 2012-2014 when Ford fixed it. I wouldnt buy a used 2010-2011 Raptor simply because the frame was not reinforced. Somethings you just do not buy used.

Sorry Im not joining in on the 'OMG it has to be a V8 or it wont be a Raptor circle jerk'.

I'm sorry but I own a 2011 raptor and drive it just as hard as most of the other people on this forum if not harder, I have had nowhere near as many problems as a lot of the newer trucks seem to have, I've hit plenty of shit where my next thought was "crap, just bent the frame", each time I went back there and looked, no bent frame, my frame is still straight after over 3 years of ownership, and I've seen 2012+ trucks bend their first time offroad, it is all about how you drive the truck, not the tiny difference in the strength of the frame

I also know someone who has an ecoboost f-150 and if I baby my truck like he does his, we get nearly the same mileage, except there's a 600 pound difference between my truck and his, and two identical f-150s, one with the ecoboost and one with the 6.2L, the difference in front curb weight is under 80 lbs, you could probably drop half or more of that difference just converting the iron block to an aluminum block, from my experience there is no advantage to an EB vs. the 6.2L, you're looking at numbers, I'm looking at real world results

It's not just that I think if it's not a big N/A V-8 then it's not a real offroad truck, it's that the trend of ecoboost and other turbo engines are leading to the eradication of a major staple of automotive society, the sheep follow the heard to the slaughterhouse, not knowing that the heard is being pushed towards it's destruction by those at the back of the line that blindly follow, right now the 8+ cylinder engines are standing poised for the chopping block, but the 6- cylinders are standing in the same line, cheering on their bigger brothers' destruction

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No big deal really most Raptors are street queens so a v6 ringy dingy motor will work fine for them.

Keep the current model big boy V8's because the next gen Raptor will fall flat with a Eco Boost V6.

sabumaru

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can some one please explain why a V8 is better?
Because its american ?

Serieus..its about torque, horsepower, reliabilty an drivabilty
I would take a raptor even if it was just a 4 in line...
As,long as it has the power

Diesel ...ok i am fine with it...as long as it has equal or better

If it is the sound...do what bmw did... play back a recordinf

No one here posted a valid reason... just ifs and feelings... nothing real or founded

Bring on the Eco-beast

And lets not forget...the 6.2 came out the F250
So keep eye on that...the 6.2 is still in there for 2015
So its not gone YET

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't kid yourselves. Ford will produce a V6 turbo Raptor right after GM puts out a Z06 Vette with a V6 turbo.

Meaning NEVER.

EVER.

They might come out with an off-road v6, but that won't be a Raptor. Not a real Raptor anyway.