Future Raptor Engines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Plus, we didn't buy these trucks for fuel economy. If that's what you are looking for, you're better off buying an ecoboost and upgrading the suspension.

Im not asking for a huge increase in MPG but a little bit that can be achieved by a turbo wouldnt hurt. I have a built Jeep that gets 10mpg on the highway and 7.5mpg in town. My wife also has a Jeep with a V8 that gets 12mpg in town and 15mpg on the highway so Im used to horrible gas mileage hints why I have a turbo subie that gets 30mpg on the highway to commute with.

Turbos have been pushing heavy vehicles for a hell of a long time so I hardly think an ecoboost v6 would have any trouble pushing a 6000# truck down the highway. You also talk about reliability. If turbos caused reliability issues they wouldnt have them on every single long haul truck on the road and almost every piece of heavy equipment on the construction site. Turbos have been around for a long time, manufacturers have them figured out, they will not cause reliability issues. Long haul rigs and construction equipment see a hell of a lot more abuse than someones daily driver that will probably never see a dirt road, just saying.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As someone who has dealt with Turbo issues on Commercial Trucks. You would be wrong in your reasoning. The utilize turbo's because Diesel trucks make plenty of TQ with it and does not have the detonation issue gasoline does. And they do have plenty of issues/maintenance required. Can not count the number of times had to deal with ruptured or blown of cold side piping.

I love turbo's but for a truck that plans to be jumped and run at high speed off road it needs to be bullet proof. Do not want to deal with cracked pipes or oil issues.

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah... Comparing an 80,000 pound turbo diesel rolling down the highway to a 6000 pound high speed/performance non diesel off road truck is like comparing a hand held remote control drone to an apache... "But, they both have rotors!!!"

Seriously, 3 posts on the forum and all you're doing so far is ramming the pro ecoboost viewpoint (which has been discussed how many times now) down everybody's throats.

It's fine if you like the ecoboost and want that in the next raptor, but don't think that that is a guarantee or that everybody wants that. Remember the first couple years you could get the raptor with a 5.4 or 6.2. Offering two engine choices wasn't an overly large problem for ford and considering that regular ecoboosted f-150's are made on the same assembly line, then why hasn't the raptor been offered with that engine yet? There's more to the story there. I'd even be willing to bet money that there is (or was) an Eco boost test raptor out there somewhere. (Not the new speculated raptor, but a gen 1). My guess is it caused more problems offroad then it solved in terms of fuel saved. And just for the record a stock ecoboost (engine, no tune or aftermarket tweaking) with 35" tires and a 4.10 rear diff wouldn't do all that much better in terms of mileage than a stock raptor.

My guess is there will be two engine options on the Gen 2 raptor. An ecoboost (of some sort) and a V8.

There's already some pretty likely rumors flying about the next Gt500 mustang having some major muscle (more than the Dodge Hellcat). I'd bet you'll see something similar as an option on the next raptor.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Im not ramming the ecoboost idea down anyones throats, Im simply stating the fact that it could work and it could work well in a Raptor. You guys act like turbos are made out of glass and that a slight bump in the road is going to break it. Thats not the case.

If turbos are so unreliable why do they put them on long haul rigs? Why do they put them on construction equipment? How can my buddies 1997 Subaru Legacy GT (non-diesel) have over 400k on the original turbo with zero issues? Why would Porsche, Audi, BMW, Subaru, Mitsubishi, etc put them on their non-diesel cars? Ive seen plenty of non-diesel turbo motors with over 200k+ miles with ZERO issues. Its not comparing apples to oranges because there are diesel and non-diesel turbo motors that have zero issues with a ton of miles on them so why wouldnt it work on the Raptor? Because it might get a little dirty on the trails? Because someone might be a little rougher on it than a street car? Highly doubt it. There are plenty of people that run the crap out of their turbo cars on track days AND use them as their DD and have no issues. Turbos are not a new invention, they are not made out of glass, they do not break at the slightest vibration or bump from offroad use.

I didnt come to this forum to push an Ecoboost agenda, I came here to discuss and debate over the possible new Raptor because thats the one Im buying. I thoroughly research everything I buy whether its a washer/dryer, car, truck, or a filter for my fridge because I like to buy the best and not have any surprises down the road. To be honest it frightens me to buy a new re-tooled Raptor because a lot of the times new re-tooled anything has problems down the road. Just like the 2010-11 Raptors that had bent frames and they fixed that problem in 2012, everything new has issues.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pretty sure an Ecoboost ran the Baja or mint last year and won its class disguised as a raptor. Even skipped a fuel stop cause it wasn't needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A big burley V8 is America. Good riddiance? I think NOT!!! A gay little V6 with power boosters is not AMERICAN nor is it Manly!!!:lolnono:

Course I understand the need for mileage improvement etc. I just am sorry to see the good ole big cubed V8 going the way of the DODO bird!

Last edited:

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pretty sure an Ecoboost ran the Baja or mint last year and won its class disguised as a raptor. Even skipped a fuel stop cause it wasn't needed

Impossible! According to these guys turbos are unreliable and will most definitely break pushing a 6000# truck down the highway and it would be impossible for one to be put into an offroad truck with positive results. /s :ROFLJest:

Joking aside I get it. A big V8 is ideal. Power is awesome. Instant tire squealing neck snapping v8 power is nice. The thing is I dont hate money and enjoy saving it where I can. If I can save a tiny bit of money on gas and not lose any power why wouldnt I be for it? That little extra money can then be used for tires, rims, bumpers, etc for the truck. Win win.

Last edited:

Harblar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not ramming the ecoboost idea down anyones throats, Im simply stating the fact that it could work and it could work well in a Raptor. You guys act like turbos are made out of glass and that a slight bump in the road is going to break it. Thats not the case.

If turbos are so unreliable why do they put them on long haul rigs? Why do they put them on construction equipment? How can my buddies 1997 Subaru Legacy GT (non-diesel) have over 400k on the original turbo with zero issues? Why would Porsche, Audi, BMW, Subaru, Mitsubishi, etc put them on their non-diesel cars? Ive seen plenty of non-diesel turbo motors with over 200k+ miles with ZERO issues. Its not comparing apples to oranges because there are diesel and non-diesel turbo motors that have zero issues with a ton of miles on them so why wouldnt it work on the Raptor? Because it might get a little dirty on the trails? Because someone might be a little rougher on it than a street car? Highly doubt it. There are plenty of people that run the crap out of their turbo cars on track days AND use them as their DD and have no issues. Turbos are not a new invention, they are not made out of glass, they do not break at the slightest vibration or bump from offroad use.

I didnt come to this forum to push an Ecoboost agenda, I came here to discuss and debate over the possible new Raptor because thats the one Im buying. I thoroughly research everything I buy whether its a washer/dryer, car, truck, or a filter for my fridge because I like to buy the best and not have any surprises down the road. To be honest it frightens me to buy a new re-tooled Raptor because a lot of the times new re-tooled anything has problems down the road. Just like the 2010-11 Raptors that had bent frames and they fixed that problem in 2012, everything new has issues.

No one is saying a Turbo is unreliable. What they are saying is that it adds more things to the mix that "could" go wrong. Comparing a a long haul rig, Turboed Cat, or porsche to a Raptor is just stupid. None of the latter can do, or more specifically were designed to do what the Raptor was.

I farm. I'm no stranger to Turboed machinery. In fact I'll be spending the entire day today hauling corn with a Freightliner running a turboed mercedes diesel. Farm rigs, between the grain dust, gravel roads, and soft dirt fields (while loaded to the max) see some of the harshest conditions a big rig can face. And even then they are not subjected the stresses a Raptor was designed for. So to look at one and say if it's reliable here then certainly it will be reliable there, is kind of foolish.

All I'm saying is there is a reason you haven't seen an Ecoboosted production Raptor yet. Ford isn't dumb. They know there is a market for one. So why not offer one yet? There's some other issue in play preventing it from having happened, yet.

Huck's right about the ecoboost disguised as a Raptor (I've read it somewhere as well), but that's a race truck and if you're saying a highly tuned and turbo boosted race truck could go 200k+ milles with Zero problems you really are smoking some good shit.

As for the "bent frame" issues... there is no issue. Do your so called "research". The Bent frames occurred when running an extremeley rough course at high speed. Ford did add a little extra reinforcement in the 2012-14 models, but if you push it (or any truck for that matter) beyond it's design limits (like occured in the "Raptors have bent frames!!!" rumor) you'll likely end up with a bent frame or other problems, reinforced or not.

Seriously... You like to research so much, get out there and talk to ACTUAL ecoboost owners. Ask them about their offroading experiences. How extreme do they go? What maintenance issues have they had in doing so? Find someone who runs (or has run) an ecoboost offroad like a lot of the guys here do on the various Raptor runs. That'll probably answer all of your questions.

Personally, I think the ecoboosted Raptor is inevitable, but I don't see the v8 going away completely, either. In reality, the smartest thing Ford could do would be to make a large twin turboed V-8 (5.8 or bigger) and then offer a standard 5.0 V-8 and/or a tuned V-6 ecoboost. That would probably satisfy everybody. What will they end up going with? Who the hell knows. All I do know is that I'm never selling my 6.2! I may get a Gen 2 when it comes out (as a Daily Driver) but my current Raptor is never going away. :)

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As for the "bent frame" issues... there is no issue. Do your so called "research". The Bent frames occurred when running an extremeley rough course at high speed. Ford did add a little extra reinforcement in the 2012-14 models, but if you push it (or any truck for that matter) beyond it's design limits (like occured in the "Raptors have bent frames!!!" rumor) you'll likely end up with a bent frame or other problems, reinforced or not.

The Raptor was designed for high speed offroad driving so yes, THERE WAS AN ISSUE. If there wasnt an issue Ford wouldnt have reinforced the frames 2012-2014. I never said all Raptors from 10-11 had bent frames but those years you are more likely to bend your frame compared to 2012-2014 when Ford fixed it. I wouldnt buy a used 2010-2011 Raptor simply because the frame was not reinforced. Somethings you just do not buy used.

Sorry Im not joining in on the 'OMG it has to be a V8 or it wont be a Raptor circle jerk'.

Last edited: