First Timer: Soon to be my first Ford.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
I'd say that'd be your best bet. Enjoy the '14 for a few years and flip it into the '18 after the first year bugs are worked out.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
I planned to... doesn't mean I need to be first in line?? But, this weekend I'm going to look at a few 2014's. Not because I'm afraid of the V6. lol. Mostly, because I can probably do a 2014, and in 2017 buy the 2018.. and not lose much on the deal. All preliminary thoughts...

I hope issues are worked out by '19 but that is wishful thinking. I bought my Raptor late in the game and Ford did nothing to address known issues such as power steering and IWE failures.

OP
OP
Z

ZeusMutation

Reaction score
I hope issues are worked out by '19 but that is wishful thinking. I bought my Raptor late in the game and Ford did nothing to address known issues such as power steering and IWE failures.

Great point! That kind of action, or lack of, from an auto manufacturer is exactly where I lost trust in our big 3 and why I went to Toyota. Do I like their offerings, no, not really. However, when working on different models of American Cars vs Toyota's (specific to Toyo, other imports I've worked on were one off race applications) I shrugged at the silliness... stuff that feels designed to maintain a lucrative service department.

"It's all ball bearings these days!" I digress in Fletchisms. lol

Seriously, I understand, and support, the need for service. That's a lot of jobs!

Not confident there is any auto manufacturer who doesn't do the exact thing you mentioned. Are there fixes for these known issues?

I used to work for a company that taught me this concept, which I've despised btw. If you warn customers the losses are significant. If you compensate customers the costs are minimal.

I'm really looking for an all in one vehicle. This might be my problem to begin with. The Raptor meets my off-road wants, but is it built for daily abuse or just weekend fun?? Don't know... its kinda why I'm here... hoping to find out.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm really looking for an all in one vehicle. This might be my problem to begin with. The Raptor meets my off-road wants, but is it built for daily abuse or just weekend fun?? Don't know... its kinda why I'm here... hoping to find out.

Daily driver. 30K miles in 25 months. No issues so far (knock on wood).

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have over 71,000 miles on my 14. i have had 4wd issues since the beginning, but nothing else really has been wrong. i only use 4wd in the sand dunes. until now where my engine light comes on through puddles. but that should be easily fixable. as a whole, i have never even once worried about my truck leaving me stranded somewhere.

5 trr trips
poker run
ghost town run
rocfest
multiple run and gun trips in the nevada desert
3 trips to ocotillo wells
4 trips to prairie city offroad park
2 trips to the oregon sand dunes
pismo beach sand dunes..... more than i can count....

and i drove 105 miles a day to commute from my house to my shop. truck still holding up good.

this truck will be 2 years old next month......

OP
OP
Z

ZeusMutation

Reaction score
Nice! Love reading those high milage, no worries responses!

TCSC - I envision using 4wd a lot. Are your issues common, an easy fix, covered by warranty? Cuz I'm looking at some '14's this weekend.

Thnx

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score

I drove my '06 Titan 90k from new in nine years. The Titan was comfortable and nice to drive but I have a daily driver so I didn't always choose it. Matter of fact I didn't need a truck at all from 01/2013 to 04/2013 so I didn't pull it out of the garage for 90 days!

With the Raptor, I have driven almost 30k in less than a year. I never thought I would drive it so much. It is super comfortable for everyday driving and long trips. I *LOOK* for reasons to drive it.

We did 6300 miles in July from CA to SD/MN/WI then cruised Route 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica. We have a Audi convertible and Audi A6 that get double the gas mileage and are very comfortable. We took the Raptor!

Three days after getting back from our trip we drove another 1000 miles for the ROC Poker Run II...

Only issue was PS pump failure. Everything else routine maintenance and I do beat on it off-road.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
I'm similar to @Trick_Raptor, I no longer have my Raptor, but in a span of 3 weeks, I put over 7,000 miles on my 2013 - about 6,700 on-road miles and 300 miles HARD off-road. Didn't give me a hiccup. Just sucked down fuel like the thirsty girl she was and kept on going.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
I'm similar to @Trick_Raptor, I no longer have my Raptor, but in a span of 3 weeks, I put over 7,000 miles on my 2013 - about 6,700 on-road miles and 300 miles HARD off-road. Didn't give me a hiccup. Just sucked down fuel like the thirsty girl she was and kept on going.

Similar from the waist up of course. In order to buy a BMW X5 by law you have to have your balls cut off.

Last edited: