Does the HPFP make noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, I hear what sounds to be valvetrain noise at idle - I did some research and found that the high pressure fuel pump can be noisy as it is cam driven? Is this correct? Truck runs great, no issues at all except this noise I noticed. Comes more from the passenger side wheel well than the driver side - also on top with hood open, passenger side. @FordTechOne any ideas?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, the HPFP is driven by a separate lobe on the cam. It’s located on the passenger side valve cover. It’s normal for HPFPs to make an audible ticking/clacking sound as they operate.

OP
OP
nikhsub1

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, the HPFP is driven by a separate lobe on the cam. It’s located on the passenger side valve cover. It’s normal for HPFPs to make an audible ticking/clacking sound as they operate.
OK that's what I was hoping, thx for the confirmation. So there is nothing to service on the pump like the tappet?

2019 scott

Reaction score
Mine is real noisy on a cold start until the engine runs a little, is that normal too? Once up to temp. mine is quiet.....

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine is real noisy on a cold start until the engine runs a little, is that normal too? Once up to temp. mine is quiet.....
Yes. When the engine is not running off of direct injection, such as on cold start, the pump is essentially dead headed at ~2000 PSI. With the higher load on the pump it will be more audible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc