Disabling fake engine noise - does it make the cabin quieter or noisier?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

image98

Reaction score
The difference between on and off is subtle. I used Forscan to disable the fake engine noise. It did make the cabin sound quieter at lower rpms and at lower speeds. However, when revving, the engine has a higher pitched V6 tone. I recently turned the fake engine noise back on and the cabin sounds quieter at higher speeds. At higher rpms, the engine does sounds deeper and more throaty. I now prefer the system to be on. I wish the system was more customizable allowing different "fake tunes." Either way, it's still a relatively quiet experience.

Last edited:

JP77

Reaction score
I turned off the fake engine noise at the same time that I activated my new sub. I like it now and I'm not looking back! Even on the rare occasion when I have the radio off and tromp it, the real engine noise sounds OK to me.

I also deactivated that damn start/stop feature that I hated from day one.

To each his own, I suppose.

costnsg, you just slipped that in there like it wasn't the scientific discovery of the century.How did you disable the start/stop?

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I saw this & was interested then saw forscan mentioned- I gotta say, I do NOT see that as an “easy” way to do anything. Gotta buy a couple
Plugs/adapters download software update it regularly get a particular laptop/device that works w/ it, pay a subscription (and if you decide you’re all set do you “lose” ability to change anything you’ve done up to that point or after?) it could void your warranty just like a engine tuner & the whole list of codes/menus seems very cumbersome.

When I first heard of it thought it was similar to a handheld or another ford app that provided menus for easy tweaks, seems a whole helluva lot more complicated than that.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I saw this & was interested then saw forscan mentioned- I gotta say, I do NOT see that as an “easy” way to do anything. Gotta buy a couple
Plugs/adapters download software update it regularly get a particular laptop/device that works w/ it, pay a subscription (and if you decide you’re all set do you “lose” ability to change anything you’ve done up to that point or after?) it could void your warranty just like a engine tuner & the whole list of codes/menus seems very cumbersome.

When I first heard of it thought it was similar to a handheld or another ford app that provided menus for easy tweaks, seems a whole helluva lot more complicated than that.

$20 for an OBD reader (which is handy), subscription and download is free, and a dealer that would void your warranty for it is just looking to avoid warranty work, if they could even recognize it. Which I very much doubt.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I turned mine off, it got quieter...but can see were others would leave it alone..personal choice, not right or wrong answer...

So whats the deal with "haters"?....I fell in love with the truck in 2010 when I first saw one!....Couldn't afford one until 2017 and finally had one custom ordered....I'm a V8 guy all the way and if there was a V8 option even if it cost $3,000 - $4,000 I would jumped on it...BUT...this is all it comes with (the 3.5L) and the rest of the truck is awesome (but not perfect)

I would never say a single negative word about any Gen1, and don't thump my chest as if the Gen2 is so hot the Gen1 is now junk...I still love seeing the Gen1's while driving around...truth is there are some styling features on the Gen1 that look better then my Gen2, and visa versa....

So to my Gen1 brothers, I'll hang out with any of you guys...:)

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
costnsg, you just slipped that in there like it wasn't the scientific discovery of the century.How did you disable the start/stop?

It isn't. Start/Stop has been beaten to death and there are multiple solutions to disable it. If this is news to you, you haven't bothered looking... At all.