Disabling fake engine noise - does it make the cabin quieter or noisier?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FORScan ... search here you'll find the tweak thread with all the links.

You are turning off false sounds which are being created...so yes, of course, it is quieter. Now when you don't have fake engine noises drowning out other noises, will you maybe hear your dog panting in the back seat more, the squeek of your coffee cup coming out of the drink holder, your buddy letting one rip in the passenger seat...??...perhaps. But yes, your truck will be quieter.

I like it much better OFF. And with it off it does not obscure any of the audio that you want coming out of your speakers...so that's a plus. Think I play my music a little lower which given my hearing loss birth to date...that's a good thing. And you are more able to hear the actual sounds being made by the truck...which isn't so bad either.

First time passengers probably got a bit more of a kick out of the truck with them ON...but I'm just not into the fake.

---------- Post added at 01:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 AM ----------

One thing I have noticed now that other sounds are not being drowned out by the drone of the fake engine sounds...is that this truck could definitely benefit from some additional sound insulation. Easiest example is to fold down the passenger side rear seat...you hear so much more road noise through the rear wall. Lots has been discussed in the audio electronics forum; I intend to do some Damplifier / Luxury Liner type of product in the future.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FORScan ... search here you'll find the tweak thread with all the links.

You are turning off false sounds which are being created...so yes, of course, it is quieter. Now when you don't have fake engine noises drowning out other noises, will you maybe hear your dog panting in the back seat more, the squeek of your coffee cup coming out of the drink holder, your buddy letting one rip in the passenger seat...??...perhaps. But yes, your truck will be quieter.

I like it much better OFF. And with it off it does not obscure any of the audio that you want coming out of your speakers...so that's a plus. Think I play my music a little lower which given my hearing loss birth to date...that's a good thing. And you are more able to hear the actual sounds being made by the truck...which isn't so bad either.

First time passengers probably got a bit more of a kick out of the truck with them ON...but I'm just not into the fake.

---------- Post added at 01:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 AM ----------

One thing I have noticed now that other sounds are not being drowned out by the drone of the fake engine sounds...is that this truck could definitely benefit from some additional sound insulation. Easiest example is to fold down the passenger side rear seat...you hear so much more road noise through the rear wall. Lots has been discussed in the audio electronics forum; I intend to do some Damplifier / Luxury Liner type of product in the future.

So the more I’m understanding about the system(s) at work in our trucks...the more I now want to experiment. So it seems we may not merely be turning off fake engine sounds when we make the change in FORScan...we are more likely disabling a noise cancellation circuit that also has engine sound enhancement (ESE). ?? would love to keep one and ditch the other but don’t know if they are all rolled into one DSP system. hmmm?? maybe it is louder. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
X

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the more I’m understanding about the system(s) at work in our trucks...the more I now want to experiment. So it seems we may not merely be turning off fake engine sounds when we make the change in FORScan...we are more likely disabling a noise cancellation circuit that also has engine sound enhancement (ESE). ?? would love to keep one and ditch the other but don’t know if they are all rolled into one DSP system. hmmm?? maybe it is louder. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I agree. I am still confused by how everyone says it's quieter when you can hear more noises. I think we are getting mixed up in the definition of "quiet" White noise that cancels out ambient noises is part of "quiet" in my book.

I can see how the fake noise may take away from the stereo quality, but I am not an audiophile.

I have been meaning to turn up the voltage on my heated steering wheel anyway, so I may go ahead and turn off the fake noise and see how it feels. But I have a feeling I will be turning it back on soon from what I am hearing here.

Kbobk

Reaction score
Turning it off made it quieter in the cab, but once it became quieter you can hear the actual exhaust noise which isn't very nice. I personally am leaving the fake noise off as it felt like a video game and I prefer to listen to music or have it as quiet as possible when in the car.

solarwinds

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you go custom amp and sound you will hear it big time. unless you wanna hear deep sounds coming thru your subs that mess up your music you gonna disable it.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is much worse, IMO. You sacrifice engine noise for more ambient noise. The overall effect is little to no difference in loudness, but what you are hearing. FWIW the engine tone in the cab sounds about the same regardless of setting, but is much more faint with enhancement off.

I made it about two days before I turned it back on.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I suppose since @Livnitup has clarified this for us we should at least try to be consistent in our observations.

turning fake noise and ANC off completely turns off any augmentation at all, meaning the only noise you’re hearing are those created by the road noise, tires, engine, exhaust, transmission, transfer case and differentials, or driveline noise, suspension working, your spouse or s/o chattering, dog panting and the user formerly known as sasquatch77 whining about what muffler to put on.

All but the latter are at least somewhat covered by having fake engine noise - I think it’s ENE and ANC enabled. I don’t notice so much external or outside noises coming in from the outside, but I hear more low db driveline noise for example that I didn’t used to hear before.

I will agree that the change is very subtle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc