Crackling or backfiring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Idaho Savage

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had my Cobb front mount IC installed last week and used the truck to tow a ~3k pound trailer over the pass this past weekend, which I've done several times before. I always run 91 Octane. Outside temp was around 25F and I almost always run my exhaust on quiet, though I doubt that has anything to do with the following:

I was in tow mode which is nice for descents on icey surfaces while towing. Oddly enough, the truck "crackled" or backfired when I'd let off the accelerator a few times--only with high RPMs (tow mode engine breaking) upon letting off the gas. I am fairly confident that this hadn't happened previously. I know backfiring is unspent fuel hitting the exhaust....is this what I'm hearing?
On my 1970 FJ40 with a tuned LS3, I've grown to expect it but it was a bit surprising out of my Raptor.

So...
1. Have you guys experienced this?
2. If so, would this have to do with the new IC? Maybe the ECU still learning a change in mixture due to IC?
3. Is there anything to be worried about?

Thanks.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
So FMIC vs a bigger factory location Intercooler, correct? Did you get it tuned afterwards?

When was the last time the spark plugs were replaced? Mine was popping on decel as well. New plugs cleared it up.

OP
OP
I

Idaho Savage

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So FMIC vs a bigger factory location Intercooler, correct? Did you get it tuned afterwards?

When was the last time the spark plugs were replaced? Mine was popping on decel as well. New plugs cleared it up.
No tune, only 20k miles on the truck so I doubt it needs new plugs.

OP
OP
I

Idaho Savage

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My stock 22 does it in tow/haul mode. Noticed it yesterday, only hauling 2 dirtbikes on a little trailer.
That's good to hear. Maybe I never noticed it before but I find that unlikely.

Syberspace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does it in sport mode at high rpm. You can also force it to happen, if when engine braking, you just tap the throttle. Never paid attention while towing. Will check that out next time.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my Cobb front mount IC installed last week and used the truck to tow a ~3k pound trailer over the pass this past weekend, which I've done several times before. I always run 91 Octane. Outside temp was around 25F and I almost always run my exhaust on quiet, though I doubt that has anything to do with the following:

I was in tow mode which is nice for descents on icey surfaces while towing. Oddly enough, the truck "crackled" or backfired when I'd let off the accelerator a few times--only with high RPMs (tow mode engine breaking) upon letting off the gas. I am fairly confident that this hadn't happened previously. I know backfiring is unspent fuel hitting the exhaust....is this what I'm hearing?
On my 1970 FJ40 with a tuned LS3, I've grown to expect it but it was a bit surprising out of my Raptor.

So...
1. Have you guys experienced this?
2. If so, would this have to do with the new IC? Maybe the ECU still learning a change in mixture due to IC?
3. Is there anything to be worried about?

Thanks.
I put a mic in the back of our gen2, and I could hear some burbles, but they weren't very bubbles. It was in Sport.
View attachment VID_20220222_155132~3.mp4