Buying decision??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Any OTD price implications - taxes, titling, etc.?

insurance? Should be cheaper but you don’t know until you ask
58k trade on a 4 y.o. with 60k... sounds not too bad.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Gen 2 had issues initially that were modified in future model years. Plastic oil pan was a reference to one issue. It most certainly is still something to consider when buying a new Gen vehicle. Not saying there are not positives as well, but negatives shouldn't just be ignored.
Yes, but Gen 3 has very few real changes. The rear suspension and the 37s. The rest are things that have already changed on the F150 and should be ironed out by now. I think if I was buying the first year of a gen, gen 3 would be my first and second picks ...

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, but Gen 3 has very few real changes. The rear suspension and the 37s. The rest are things that have already changed on the F150 and should be ironed out by now. I think if I was buying the first year of a gen, gen 3 would be my first and second picks ...

Agreed that the risk is probably lower than in previous years, and it's not what's keeping me from getting a Gen 3 right now. That would be that I don't want to pay MSRP, I don't want to play the dealing and waiting game everyone is messing with right now, and I want to get more use out of my Gen 2. Oh, and I want to want for better options/packages, which is already happening with MY22.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agreed that the risk is probably lower than in previous years, and it's not what's keeping me from getting a Gen 3 right now. That would be that I don't want to pay MSRP, I don't want to play the dealing and waiting game everyone is messing with right now, and I want to get more use out of my Gen 2. Oh, and I want to want for better options/packages, which is already happening with MY22.
Agreed. With all of it. But if I was Raptorless, I wouldn't let gen 3 being a brand new model slow me down. The engine and tranny are not new, and that's big.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't let them frame the deal as the difference between trade in and new truck price. Negotiate these separately. Find out how much your trade in is worth and decide if you like their offer for that. Then make sure the new truck is offered at a fair price (MSRP).

If they did offer this separately, and you did the math yourself, that's fine. I just don't trust dealers who try and frame deals like this, or by the monthly payment, etc in order to make the deal look more appealing than it is.

I think you have to take this a step further. Do not let the dealer do the math for you. You have to know and understand the math first, and also understand your tax, license, doc fee costs. Start with a simple spreadsheet of what you want your vehicle trade to be, then what the price of the new vehicle is. You can apply the tax however your state handles trades... typically on new vehicles, you pay the tax on the amount between trade and buy prices. Then, I always add in the $250 license and doc fee. From that you can get totals, and play with the numbers. To go further yet, you can get an online loan amortization calculator and plug in numbers... this will tell you what a finance payment is for the term and interest % you choose.
Again, don't let the sale person tell you numbers... figure them out for yourself.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
17k for 60k miles
28 cents a mile…I’d do it.

That's not the cost per mile. The original cost was 65k and he's trading it for 58k, so $7k for 60k miles...12 cents a mile. Ignoring TTL, interest, fuel, maintenance...

The price of a new vehicle isn't relevant. Your calculation might make sense if you were selling a Gen 2 for another Gen 2....like you were knocking off 60k miles without getting any additional features (as you would with a Gen 3)....but even then you cost per mile only gets cheaper with the existing vehicle, as you depreciate slower, the longer you own the vehicle. Well, unless you start having maintenance expenses. And of course, your new vehicle depreciates the moment you drive it off the lot.

I should probably stop now.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's not the cost per mile. The original cost was 65k and he's trading it for 58k, so $7k for 60k miles...12 cents a mile. Ignoring TTL, interest, fuel, maintenance...

The price of a new vehicle isn't relevant. Your calculation might make sense if you were selling a Gen 2 for another Gen 2....like you were knocking off 60k miles without getting any additional features (as you would with a Gen 3)....but even then you cost per mile only gets cheaper with the existing vehicle, as you depreciate slower, the longer you own the vehicle. Well, unless you start having maintenance expenses. And of course, your new vehicle depreciates the moment you drive it off the lot.

I should probably stop now.
His out of pocket is 17k for 60k miles…it’s the sum of the deal - ignoring TTL and a new warranty.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Im not afraid of first year production. That used to be an issue, but rarely anymore.

They offered 58k for trade (I paid 65k 4 years ago). New vehicle at MSRP.

17k for owing a new raptor for 4 years does not sound like a "hefty premium" to me.

Nah I just would wait if it were me, I’ve mentioned before - I work closely w/ auto manufacturers for business, & there’s going to be a lot of issues w/ “covid era” vehicles across all makes. And first year production “used to be an issue” - so when did they resolve it? This year? Haha the 2017 Raptors have the most issues!!!!

Go take a gander over on a TRX forum

Check out how well the new C8 vettes are holding up (frunks & trannies)

If you NEED a vehicle it’s one thing, but if you’re just looking to get a new truck & nothing wrong w/ your current ride why not wait another year see how these things hold up? I mean literally nobody knows & they’ve barely been reviewed at this point.

I don’t think the deal itself is bad though, seems like a fair swap. But as others mentioned- I’d get separate offers on paper for trade in value of your truck & sales price of Gen3 then determine what the cash amount needed to bridge that gap is.

I wasn’t that happy when I bought a 2014 GMC truck w/ a 6 speed & then they offered way more options & shorter gears & an 8 speed within the same generation couple years later. And of course - it was one of the trucks w/ “the shakes”

I’m just giving an opinion everyone has one….but it’s a relevant opinion b/c I had my 2018 raptor totaled & was handed $70k from ins. Payout could have gotten some beater or cheap truck to wait it out for a gen3, but for the specific reason I’m mentioning I decided better to stick w/ a new 2020 gen2

Devil
That you know vs the one you don’t & all that

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like an angry victim. Good luck with that! You could always buy a dodge Dump truck LOL

Nah just have bought/sold way too many. Shocked for the ripe old age of 40 & have learned from that experience & my mistakes along the way

I’d also never buy another new vehicle I haven’t driven yet- and by driven I mean the actual vehicle I’d buy & by driven I mean keep
It over a weekend before signing on the line

Got dudes putting deposits down on these gen3s before they’ve even driven ANY Gen3 let alone the one they’re supposed to buy…..which when you think about it is truly insane.