Buying decision??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have been happy with my 2017, but now with 60k miles. Wasnt thinking of upgrading but my dealer just told me that with trade in, he will get me a new 2021 Raptor 802A for my trade plus around $17,000.

Any thoughts? Should I just wait? But I would not splurge for the R model anyway.

Thanks!

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If your truck is running well and you don't have a pressing need for a new one, I'd wait. Let the backlog of demand die down and then make your move. It's a terrible time to get any sort of deal.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you don't keep vehicles very long, nor do you work on your own vehicles, that sounds like a smart move, either that or see what they can do for a 2022 model year, since you can order them now. Good luck. Keep us posted!

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why not, you were Fords free guinea pig in 2017, why not sign up again? No plastic pans this time but who knows WHAT is gonna turn up screwy on a first model year redesign in the covid era, start production, stop production, start up again w/ new crew & new supply chain for parts xyz, covid outbreak stop production again, start up yet again 3 weeks later & now entirely new supply chain for parts abc, etc etx

Oh -AND - pay a hefty premium

You a glutton for pain? Lol

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't let them frame the deal as the difference between trade in and new truck price. Negotiate these separately. Find out how much your trade in is worth and decide if you like their offer for that. Then make sure the new truck is offered at a fair price (MSRP).

If they did offer this separately, and you did the math yourself, that's fine. I just don't trust dealers who try and frame deals like this, or by the monthly payment, etc in order to make the deal look more appealing than it is.

bajaready

Reaction score
I have been happy with my 2017, but now with 60k miles. Wasnt thinking of upgrading but my dealer just told me that with trade in, he will get me a new 2021 Raptor 802A for my trade plus around $17,000.

Any thoughts? Should I just wait? But I would not splurge for the R model anyway.

Thanks!
Sounds like a great deal! I am really thinking about trading in my 2018 as they offered me 60k against a 2022 37" Raptor. Difference would be around $25k which they would sell at MSRP. Do not see how we can pass up these deals?

bajaready

Reaction score
Why not, you were Fords free guinea pig in 2017, why not sign up again? No plastic pans this time but who knows WHAT is gonna turn up screwy on a first model year redesign in the covid era, start production, stop production, start up again w/ new crew & new supply chain for parts xyz, covid outbreak stop production again, start up yet again 3 weeks later & now entirely new supply chain for parts abc, etc etx

Sounds like an angry victim. Good luck with that! You could always buy a dodge Dump truck LOL

OP
OP
D

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Im not afraid of first year production. That used to be an issue, but rarely anymore.

They offered 58k for trade (I paid 65k 4 years ago). New vehicle at MSRP.

17k for owing a new raptor for 4 years does not sound like a "hefty premium" to me.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Im not afraid of first year production. That used to be an issue, but rarely anymore.

The Gen 2 had issues initially that were modified in future model years. Plastic oil pan was a reference to one issue. It most certainly is still something to consider when buying a new Gen vehicle. Not saying there are not positives as well, but negatives shouldn't just be ignored.

They offered 58k for trade (I paid 65k 4 years ago). New vehicle at MSRP.

17k for owing a new raptor for 4 years does not sound like a "hefty premium" to me.

So you are paying $75k for the new Raptor? Not sure what other options you got, but the 801A (there is no 802A, according to build & price) would be $72K MSRP. It does look like you're getting a fair deal on your trade.