broken coil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i seem to remember this happening on a couple of gen1 trucks also..

seems odd that all these failures are stock shocks, with no lift collars.. just imagine how many failures didnt post of this forum also...

everyone should switch to eibachs or aftermarket coilovers

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i seem to remember this happening on a couple of gen1 trucks also..

seems odd that all these failures are stock shocks, with no lift collars.. just imagine how many failures didnt post of this forum also...

everyone should switch to eibachs or aftermarket coilovers
So let’s all totally void our warranties. I’ll pass and let Ford figure out a solution.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So let’s all totally void our warranties. I’ll pass and let Ford figure out a solution.

changing shocks does not void your warranty, except on the shocks.

the only warranty i ever really cared about was the powertrain and thats out now.. you'd rather crash off the highway to preserve the warranty?

obviously there must be a common theme among the trucks..

Last edited:

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ll let Ford pay for it. I think proper inspection will prevent an accident.
I think it is broken for a period of time until it work hardens so bad it just snaps under normal load.
The visual inspection should look for geometry differences. Is there a flat spot, distance between coils change etc….

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ll let Ford pay for it. I think proper inspection will prevent an accident.
I think it is broken for a period of time until it work hardens so bad it just snaps under normal load.
The visual inspection should look for geometry differences. Is there a flat spot, distance between coils change etc….
Good luck with that

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
Not Ford, do it yourself each time you wash it. Simple visual inspection.
Gotcha. I thought you meant a proper inspection from all angles. While I can go and look at my coils right now, I am only seeing maybe 30-40% of each one. I guess something is better than nothing though.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It looked like they were breaking about the same spot just past the retainer or seat.
Im just not willing to void any change of Ford covering it by spending 7-800 on new springs. When we see rust, there is a good chance we could catch it before it completely fails.