Broken coil on Fox suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

getthisnick

Reaction score
7584B51E-F26F-4940-9A40-7C21EAD99EA7.jpeg

Hello everyone. I’m new here and I’m very close to pulling the trigger on this 2014 Raptor. I had the salesman send me some pics of the underside, and after closely reviewing it It seems like the last ring of this coil on the front driver side strut of the truck is cracked. The salesman doesn’t know that I’ve noticed this. The truck is a one owner with 60k miles, so I was planning on doing the Fox suspension rebuild anyways. I have a few questions if you guys can help me out:

1) Is this coil being cracked necessarily a sign the truck has been ridden rough? Or is it common for those to crack periodically from regular use? (Wisconsin truck)

2) Should I be worried having to drive her 6 hours home with it cracked like that?

3) If I go through with getting the shocks rebuilt, can any typical shop replace that coil for a little extra cost?

4) I know there’s forums on this, but who do you recommend for sending in the shocks to to be rebuilt? Links please!

Thanks in advance

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
View attachment 374575

Hello everyone. I’m new here and I’m very close to pulling the trigger on this 2014 Raptor. I had the salesman send me some pics of the underside, and after closely reviewing it It seems like the last ring of this coil on the front driver side strut of the truck is cracked. The salesman doesn’t know that I’ve noticed this. The truck is a one owner with 60k miles, so I was planning on doing the Fox suspension rebuild anyways. I have a few questions if you guys can help me out:

1) Is this coil being cracked necessarily a sign the truck has been ridden rough? Or is it common for those to crack periodically from regular use? (Wisconsin truck)

2) Should I be worried having to drive her 6 hours home with it cracked like that?

3) If I go through with getting the shocks rebuilt, can any typical shop replace that coil for a little extra cost?

4) I know there’s forums on this, but who do you recommend for sending in the shocks to to be rebuilt? Links please!

Thanks in advance
That means it's been hard off roadrd. That just doesn't come from normal use.

OP
OP
G

getthisnick

Reaction score
That means it's been hard off roadrd. That just doesn't come from normal use.
I’ve heard different things. Another gentlemen who rebuilds them said it doesn’t necessarily mean that and they could crack over time from just being exposed to the elements and regular use. Hoping to get a little more clarification on here

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't drive it like that. And that's a lot of rust for 60k but maybe the spring got super rusted and cracked or it was beat on @FordTechOne could probably give a better explanation though
Hard to say for certain without knowing how it was driven; could have occurred from hard use or just corrosion over the years.

OP
OP
G

getthisnick

Reaction score
Hard to say for certain without knowing how it was driven; could have occurred from hard use or just corrosion over the years.
Thank you for taking a look. Judging off the rest of the truck, (body, interior) I’m hoping it’s just corrosion over the years. Everything else is really clean, the bottom has a good amount of service rust due to it being a Wisconsin truck

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1: no this does not necessarily mean it’s been ridden rough or even off road for that matter. Back when I had my 09 f150, it did have some rust but not huge amounts. Owned it since day one never off road, the front left coil broke just like that one did. It was from rust.

2: no I would not be worried driving on it like that for your trip home. Not gonna explode on you or anything like that. Just probably here creaking and binding noises.

3: yes a typical shop with a wall mounted spring compressor will be able to mount the spring onto the coil. When you ship your shocks out for a rebuild, you dissesemble the spring anyway and ship out the shocks only with no spring. When you get them back you take them to the shop along with your spring s and they mount them. But there are DIY floating around here showing you how to dismount and re-mount the springs to your shocks with a spring compressor from local auto parts store.

4: Texas shock works, forged off-road, are the 2 most members here use. I myself used TSW and love them.

Also -don’t let any of the concerns you listed prevent you from considering this rig. I would be more concerned with addressing the minor rust spots. Again, that particular rust spots would be taking care of with a grinding wheel and some chassis saver or POR15. Good luck

B Scott

Reaction score
I bought a 2011 with 70k miles at the end of 2018 and it still is much cleaner underneath than that 2014. I would assume it’s because of the environment it was driven in. I installed rebuilt shocks all around and the coils looked clean and in good condition. I wouldn’t worry about swapping the coils if you’re installing shocks. I would have to do some rust mitigation to the undercarriage to prevent additional corrosion. But, if the price is right and you can negotiate a lower price due to those issues, I would pull the trigger! Good luck!

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A buddy of mine replaced a rear coil twice on his Q7. Normal use so hard to tell on that Raptor.

For sure, rebuild the shocks.

Get the underside Woolwaxed to slow the rust.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Being from Michigan, rust is my MAJOR concern.
The chloride spray on our roads/highways ALL winter long just EATS everything up.
Saying that you are 6 hours away, are you sure the rest of the truck isn't ate up?
I know that I would hate to drive that far and see a bunch of bondo or rusted cab corners, no rockers, and a truck that needs a ton of body work.
Around here most body shops won't even give a quote on rockers.
The rest of stuff in your pic didn't look bad, probably better than my truck.
I would LOVE it if my truck had 100k less miles, but wouldn't want to tackle a ton of rust repair.
Hope the best for ya.
I would ask for a LOT of pics of the underside before traveling so far and make sure price accounts for the shock rebuilds, spring replacement, and whatever detailed pics show.
Like mentioned, SURE wouldn't drive home 6 hours with the broken spring.
Would have to figure out something before driving home or trailer it.
6 hours each way is a long ride for me.
I am looking at shock rebuild, replace, tires, and a few minor repairs since getting mine but sure do ENJOY the heck out of it.
Shock price surprised me, but the rest pretty expected and not enough to give me any regrets.
GOOD LUCK