Exhaust Actuator Broken.. Anyone Else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbarnesnc

Reaction score
I switched my exhaust to Baja mode the other day and it seems to have broken the actuator or the something inside the exhaust and will not fully switch to other modes. The button does work and there are subtle changes in sound when switching through the 4 modes, but nothing like it has worked for 11 months and 12,000 miles... In quiet mode it was almost as quiet as my wife's expedition as long as I didn't go over 2,500 RPMs. Now quiet is almost as loud as Sport and Normal sounds like the valve inside the exhaust is fluttering and doesn't sound smooth. The dealer had it today and said the computer shows the actuator to be in the correct places and flashed the truck to reset the positioning which didn't help.

Has anyone else seen this?

There is a TSB on replacing the spring that holds the value in place to stop exhaust rattle, but this seems to be different. My dealer has always been super helpful but said they are not authorized to start replacing parts to try and fix it without identifying the cause.

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me, I have never really thought any of the other modes made any differences. Only quite provides any real change to the sound. And like mentioned, the relief spring will open for heavier throttle application and it sounds like normal mode when that happens. Sport or Baja just sounds like Normal mode to me. As long as I can switch to quite mode in the mornings, I'm ok with how mine operates.

R,
HAP

slater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this exact issue. I did get an error code on the dash when it first happened but cannot remember what it said.
They ended up replacing the entire assembly (don't know actual parts). It wasn't the entire exhaust and wasn't just the spring. I think my shop compared it to another raptor then sent the info into Ford and it was warrantied. Up to that point they weren't taking much action. Once I suggested a comparison then things got rolling quickly.

OP
OP
bbarnesnc

bbarnesnc

Reaction score
I had this exact issue. I did get an error code on the dash when it first happened but cannot remember what it said.
They ended up replacing the entire assembly (don't know actual parts). It wasn't the entire exhaust and wasn't just the spring. I think my shop compared it to another raptor then sent the info into Ford and it was warrantied. Up to that point they weren't taking much action. Once I suggested a comparison then things got rolling quickly.
Thanks. It's good to know there's some hope I will get it fixed. I use quiet mode a lot for leaving the neighborhood and taking calls on the road. I've been searching for the part number for the full assembly with the valve
to try and fix it myself....

Dellis777

Reaction score
My exhaust makes a really annoying ticking and rattling sound when in every mode but baja and it was like that the day I picked it up from the dealer. The dealer is going to replace it but the parts are on backorder and I have no idea when it will be fixed.

_M_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My exhaust makes a really annoying ticking and rattling sound when in every mode but baja and it was like that the day I picked it up from the dealer. The dealer is going to replace it but the parts are on backorder and I have no idea when it will be fixed.
The whole exhaust or just the valve spring? Mine does the same but I’ve also identified a small exhaust leak

Dellis777

Reaction score
They said they have to replace the entire unit. I’m not sure what that all entails

boomtruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happened to mine a month ago. Booked to go in for first week of January. Had to order muffler and accuator assembly. Baja mode throws a code and locks out exhaust modes. Sport mode sounds less crappy than the rest. Sounds flat/dead in them.

sharkhunt

Reaction score
And another one. I got a popup when I fired the truck up to come home from a trip to west texas that read "exhaust modes not available," and it was stuck in awesome mode for 300 miles of interstate.. I have an ses light with it. Headed to the ford house tomorrow. Fingers crossed its just the exhaust.

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is essentally the exact same issue that the ecoboost gen 3s have been dealing with since day 1. The spring replacement is typically for 2021-early 2022 builds. Mine is a mid 2022 and that spring replacement did not apply to me, I had to have the entire exhaust replaced. The new exhaust has been fine since, which confuses me why R's are having this issue. My guess would be that the exhausts were ordered before the fix was implemented, and as such, the broken/dated parts were sent out the door.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter