GEN 2 Aftermarket bumper impact on MPG?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ali 556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What will have a bigger effect on MPG is your intake charge temp.

On the stock IC my charge temp was always 55-65*c all day every day, after the IC my temp got better and my MPG improved by 0.8-1.5

My theory behind this is that this truck dumps fuel to cool the C champer, thus poor MPG when it's hot outside.

Keep in mind that this truck will go into boost all the time except when it's on FLAT, and I mean FLAT ground, small incline, even to hold speed it will go into boost, i(pushing a box in the wind).

I'd suggest a bigger IC, **** injection, and an CAI.

OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always get a chuckle out of some of these MPG threads. So, you bought a Raptor and there’s concerns on MPGs?

I get it, and if I were truly chasing mileage I’d just keep my Passat TDI and have the Raptor for the weekends only. I just sold my diesel truck this week and want to get down to only 3 cars in the household instead of the current 4; my Bronco, something my wife drives, and my Raptor. The other factor is my back and the seating position in the Passat aren’t getting along so I do want to drive the Raptor for comfort.

I don’t want to make the MPG any worse then they have to be on my day to day, so if there are specific mods to avoid I may not do them. 1 mpg average makes a difference of probably 70 gallons of gas at 20K miles per year, that $200 certainly isn’t a dealbreaker or I wouldn’t be buying a Raptor.

On my Bronco I went from 16mpg highway (as a broke college kid) to 12 mpg highway when I added bumpers, a roll cage, and 35” tires. On my Nissan Titan I went from 18 mpg highway to 15 mpg highway with a leveling kit and BFG AT tires in the stock size. I’d like to avoid that this time around.

Bad V2

Reaction score
Yes, you lose mpg’s. How much just depends. Raptors are a brick in the wind, in general. So, anything that modifies the exterior will reduce mpg’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dustan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got back from a 2000 mile round trip to Montana. Averaged 80 to 85 mph. I have Cobb stage 2 and an add pro front bumper. 2018 scab.Trip mpg was 16.2 with some spirited passing on the single lane sections. Coolant temperatures ranged from 208 to 224 degrees and charged air temps were 20 degrees higher than outside temps. No issues besides killing every bug in Wyoming.3DA821A6-71D3-4DEB-8611-97B479252FB0.jpeg

TheTeej

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got back from a 2000 mile round trip to Montana. Averaged 80 to 85 mph. I have Cobb stage 2 and an add pro front bumper. 2018 scab.Trip mpg was 16.2 with some spirited passing on the single lane sections. Coolant temperatures ranged from 208 to 224 degrees and charged air temps were 20 degrees higher than outside temps. No issues besides killing every bug in Wyoming.View attachment 147975

That’s better than my stock truck

Dustan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tires were set at 36 front and 34 rear so I wasn’t really trying to get the best mileage possible. The only reason I checked was out of boredom at the end of the trip. A/C was on the whole way.

D

Deleted member 17706

Just got back from a 2000 mile round trip to Montana. Averaged 80 to 85 mph. I have Cobb stage 2 and an add pro front bumper. 2018 scab.Trip mpg was 16.2 with some spirited passing on the single lane sections. Coolant temperatures ranged from 208 to 224 degrees and charged air temps were 20 degrees higher than outside temps. No issues besides killing every bug in Wyoming.View attachment 147975

You have any close calls with wildlife? Moreover, any heating problems with the FMIC?