GEN 2 Aftermarket bumper impact on MPG?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have any close calls with wildlife? Moreover, any heating problems with the FMIC?
No close calls this trip. No coolant issues with the Cobb fmic. It was interesting that 80 mph ran about 5-10 degrees cooler than 85. But the highest I saw was 220. I have a 170 Degree thermostat but I’m undecided if I want to change it.

OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got back from a 2000 mile round trip to Montana. Averaged 80 to 85 mph. I have Cobb stage 2 and an add pro front bumper. 2018 scab.Trip mpg was 16.2 with some spirited passing on the single lane sections. Coolant temperatures ranged from 208 to 224 degrees and charged air temps were 20 degrees higher than outside temps. No issues besides killing every bug in Wyoming.View attachment 147975

That mileage seems darn good for those highway speeds.

D

Deleted member 17706

No close calls this trip. No coolant issues with the Cobb fmic. It was interesting that 80 mph ran about 5-10 degrees cooler than 85. But the highest I saw was 220. I have a 170 Degree thermostat but I’m undecided if I want to change it.

Yea, I love the way frame cut bumpers look and their approach angle. But I have had too many close calls traveling in the Northwest and western Canada with wildlife. If you hit a big deer head on, your FMIC intercooler could be damaged and you would be stranded.

@BroncoAZ make sure you run premium top tier gas when you get the truck. The HO EcoBoost does really well on such—I get 17-18 mpg in Florida where it is flat/hot, and I drive the truck fast.

jzweedyk

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the ADD bolt on and I get around 17 mpg at 80. I am sure it makes a difference, but not enough to worry about. Speed makes the most difference. Where I am at now the speeds are 55, and going 59 or less most of the time I am getting 19.2 on the dash, probably 18.5 actual.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Doing 85-90 miles per hour I can only get 14.6 mpg running 93 top tier octane.

36 air pressure all around.

OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doing 85-90 miles per hour I can only get 14.6 mpg running 93 top tier octane.

36 air pressure all around.

Doing 85-90 generally isn’t an issue for me, that speed here can earn you an uncomfortable set of bracelets depending on the mood of the officer.

Criminal speeding in Arizona is defined as going 20 miles per hour over the speed limit, or going 85 mph or more regardless of the speed limit.

I don’t want the misdemeanor criminal charge, the three points (out of 8 to lose license), or the increase in insurance costs.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Doing 85-90 generally isn’t an issue for me, that speed here can earn you an uncomfortable set of bracelets depending on the mood of the officer.

Criminal speeding in Arizona is defined as going 20 miles per hour over the speed limit, or going 85 mph or more regardless of the speed limit.

I don’t want the misdemeanor criminal charge, the three points (out of 8 to lose license), or the increase in insurance costs.

That's why a really good radar detector and knowing how to set it up and use it properly comes into play.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wind resistance increases exponentially with speed, so mileage drops quickly as you speed up even a small amount. I don't go faster than 80, even when the limit is 80 or 85. That's plenty fast in a top-heavy three ton rig with all the weight over the front axle. It's probably too fast, but on a straight interstate, it's hard to go slower. So long as I don't have to do anything radical like turn or hit the brakes, it's OK. Turning and braking hard at the same time? It's not OK. Ask me how I know. :)

Besides the quality of your last fill, elevation, temperature, and humidity have an effect. High elevation, high temperature, and low humidity means thin air. When it weighs less, it takes less effort to push it aside and mileage goes up a mile or two per gallon.

OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why a really good radar detector and knowing how to set it up and use it properly comes into play.

I run a Radenso Pro-M, but I don’t have much confidence in it. Sometimes it’s awesome and detects lazy officers who leave their radar on from 2+ miles out, but I’ve had numerous times where it doesn’t register anything when I can see the highway patrol guy holding his radar gun at me as I go by. Laser is right out, that never gets a proper reading when I can see the officer targeting me. Driving smart and slowing down for blind areas and crossovers is the best method here.

Waze is not very good here, between the poor cell coverage on I-17 and the lack of other users at the times I travel it’s not sufficient. I’ve use it with good results in other places. The biggest problem is that the cops are probably running it too and they move as soon as they are tagged.

I set my cruise at 78-79 most of the time and don’t have to worry. On the 65 mph sections I reduce speed to 72.