GEN 2 Aftermarket bumper impact on MPG?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in an aftermarket front bumper like the ADD PRO bolt on for my ordered 2020 Raptor. I drive about 20K miles per year on the highway and like it or not fuel economy is a factor. Does anyone have any data for MPG before or after an open wheel front bumper? I don't have to do the bumper, but I figure I should sort it out before I buy any lights compatible with the stock bumper.

The new regular F-150's front airdam seems to be getting lower and lower for better aerodynamics. Add in the grill shutters and they keep reducing the truck's drag.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think the biggest factor would be the weight, not the drag on any aftermarket bumper. I mean how fast are you driving that you worry about drag. :)

OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest factor would be the weight, not the drag on any aftermarket bumper. I mean how fast are you driving that you worry about drag. :)

Speed limits on the highway are 75 mph, I usually set my cruise at 79. Speed is always a mileage killer when pushing a brick through the air, many people report 17 mpg at 75 and 19 at 65. I’ll probably just settle for cruise at 75 mph. I read on a couple other forums about how opening up the upper section of the front of the tires to the air causes additional turbulence that reduces mileage. The weight seems to be within 20 pounds of stock on the bumpers, so I can’t see that causing a major problem or loss of economy.

OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
404076.jpg

Maybe get this addon for your bumper instead

I could see adding something that was easily removable, but I’m thinking black factory air dam, not something permanent or that stands out. I will be going offroad frequently enough I’d rather not mess with it.