Advice on 2017 Raptor Purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
1wolf,

Keep an eye on the forum for a given up allocation or similar if you’re willing to compromise on some of the options. I bought mine from dealer order - I hesitate to say dealer stock because I put a deposit down before the truck even showed up.

Photoneffect has a great tool to assist in finding truck. You can also use Ford’s configurator to check on trucks.

If you’re ready to jump, you’re obviously in a better <cough> negotiating position </cough>. There are precious few people who have secured an under MSRP deal on a new Raptor. I’ve bought 6 new vehicles, not counting my wife who has a knack for liking the slowest things on wheels, but that’s another story. Without a doubt, the Raptor at MSRP was my worst negotiating effort, but locally the starting point is 10k over MSRP, and by driving 70 minutes i got MSRP. So maybe I could have gotten the locals to 5k over, best case, but I got the best deal I could negotiate, period.

Point being, you’re not scoring under MSRP in all likelihood, so budget accordingly. If you Hummer is a trade, you’re going to be limited to “driving distance” dealers. I was able to accurately assess my trade via the dealer tool, and electronic communication, and secure a 500 dollar range of trade value, that was honestly quite good for my previous ride. If you can allocate enough to cover all your expenses / price, taxes, tags, etc. you can be a little more enthusiastic in negotiating. If you’re expecting to score financing at the dealer, that could be better, but maybe not. Or if you’re paying cash, :flipthebird: you can pretty much do what you want.

A previous poster suggested you could find a Gen 1 on the market, save some $$$ and score a damn good truck. That’s not a bad idea if the 2017 market isn’t favorable. I toyed with this too, after sticker shock set in during the first weeks of looking for a truck. the previous gen models are well liked and a viable option.

If you’re set on a 2017 / 2018, you may need to resign yourself to having to travel to get an acceptable deal. Lots of us have done road trips back home with new Raptors.

keep us updated.

ThugHunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Outside your house in the FBI Surveillance Van
Every situation is different. I once had the same opinion that I was definitely not going to pay a cent over MSRP, but after my circumstances prevented me from getting an early allocation, my only options at this point were to pay over MSRP, or not get a truck. Not getting a truck wasn't an option, since I needed to replace my old truck, so here we are.

Any person that has done their homework, has realized this is a limited production truck (at least currently), and not every swinging **** can just go get one off the floor for MSRP. Demand has outdone supply, so you get markups...that's life.

That's not the point I was making. I'm not disputing that the Raptor is limited production and certain people have the desire to obtain one. My point was that if people, all of them, refused to pay the ADM, Ford dealers would be forced to lower them back down to a more realistic number. It's already happening with Raptors sitting on lots now. But you'll always have people that have no control and will pay anything to be able to say they have one of the first ones. It's the American way! It's okay to admit that you wouldn't settle for a truck other than a Raptor, but to say not getting this truck wasn't an option is ridiculous. You could've very well opted for a inferior model and it would have accomplished the same necessity as any other pickup truck.

I also don't think demand is anywhere close to what you think it is. Once the Raptor enthusiasts receive their trucks, the demand won't seem as high. You're on a forum where enthusiasts have something in common so the demand seems heightened. The majority of **** swinging individuals that walk into a Ford dealer looking for an F150 doesn't even know what a Raptor is. Hell, some of the salespeople aren't even aware or knowledgable about them.

KTMRC8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not true about the residual, unfortunately.

If Ford starts increasing production and dealers start selling under msrp, then the residual is just worth what people are willing to pay.

The fact that you paid over msrp is meaningless if the option to buy a new one is not much more.

It's all relative...right now the supply is low, so his comment was correct. As soon as production catches up (probably in 18 or 19), your comment will be correct.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not true about the residual, unfortunately.

If Ford starts increasing production and dealers start selling under msrp, then the residual is just worth what people are willing to pay.

The fact that you paid over msrp is meaningless if the option to buy a new one is not much more.

No, for those like me, who paid MSRP or under, the residual value goes up. Very true.

Who said anything about Ford increasing production and dealers selling below MSRP? Way to make your own case with your own facts that are not even close to reality.

Last edited:

KTMRC8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not the point I was making. I'm not disputing that the Raptor is limited production and certain people have the desire to obtain one. My point was that if people, all of them, refused to pay the ADM, Ford dealers would be forced to lower them back down to a more realistic number. It's already happening with Raptors sitting on lots now. But you'll always have people that have no control and will pay anything to be able to say they have one of the first ones. It's the American way! It's okay to admit that you wouldn't settle for a truck other than a Raptor, but to say not getting this truck wasn't an option is ridiculous. You could've very well opted for a inferior model and it would have accomplished the same necessity as any other pickup truck.

I also don't think demand is anywhere close to what you think it is. Once the Raptor enthusiasts receive their trucks, the demand won't seem as high. You're on a forum where enthusiasts have something in common so the demand seems heightened. The majority of **** swinging individuals that walk into a Ford dealer looking for an F150 doesn't even know what a Raptor is. Hell, some of the salespeople aren't even aware or knowledgable about them.

You are living in a bubble. Of course if no one paid over, the prices would drop, but that's not realism. In CA, for some reason people are willing to pay over (I heard all of Ken Grody's went to Padres players), so I'm competing with them. If I want a truck now, I have to pay to play. Of course I could have settled and got a different truck that I didn't want, but paying 3.5k over to get exactly what I wanted seemed like a perfectly viable option.

As for demand, I think I know exactly what the demand is, considering I spent a few months calling 50 or so dealers across the US, and the BEST deal I could find for my truck was 3.5k over and that was driving 1800 miles across country to get it.

I posted a build in Texas that a place was offering for MSRP, that was snatched up in 10 minutes...with multiple people interested, and EVERY dealer I talked to said they had numerous MSRP offers. Until Ford starts cranking these out, supply and demand will settle itself.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, for those like me, how paid MSRP or under, the residual value goes up. Very true.

Who said anything about Ford increasing production and dealers selling below MSRP? Way to make your own case with your own facts that are not the case.

youre so full of it..... convince yourself all you want..... no one with a brain is convinced. I can buy one tomorrow at under. Once all the suckers have their prize anyone will be able to get one at msrp or under. Your residual is gone , was the minute you drove off the lot.

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meh. This is an endless debate. Some people are willing to paid msrp, some aren't. You know which side of the fence you are on, pointless to try to win people over. At the end of the day, it's your money, and you know how much a dollar is worth to you.

Kowboy17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
youre so full of it..... convince yourself all you want..... no one with a brain is convinced. I can buy one tomorrow at under. Once all the suckers have their prize anyone will be able to get one at msrp or under. Your residual is gone , was the minute you drove off the lot.

If you could buy one tomorrow for UNDER MSRP, you're dealing with a '**** poor' business man (in the business of selling ANYTHING with a strong market). MSRP is a good deal at this point and if a dealer is willing to sell you one for under when they could easily obtain MSRP or 'more' (which I agree is a bad decision on anyone's part UNLESS...you have the cash or means to do it) just isn't good business. Now, I agree that jacking with people for over MSRP is bad LONG term business (people remember things) but MSRP in a strong market is good business. You pay MSRP for 90% of the things you buy in life (they just don't list MSRP..lol).
Side note: can't we all treat each other with respect? The JEEP guys are laughing at us when they see this stuff...lol.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you could buy one tomorrow for UNDER MSRP, you're dealing with a '**** poor' business man (in the business of selling ANYTHING with a strong market).

I disagree , anyone gouging today is making sure they dont create a loyal customer for tomorrow. If he would have quoted me over retail i would have hung up on him and never bought a oil filter from him again and he knows it. Repeat business is where long term success lies.