37PP Overlanding Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I get that. I saw a lot of people who were glamping out of their rigs, which is cool I guess. It is a nicer way to camp but the experience is almost the same as using a ground tent. It is a far different experience building a rig for expeditions like adventures. It was a gnarly experience being in the middle of no where hours away from humanity surviving (I use that loosely) with only the truck. I cannot tell you the number of days spent without AM/FM/SAT or cell coverage. There is great vast world out there......

Not macho, just laughing at the "overlanding" snobbery thing. Try going out for a week and carry all of your stuff. In a place so remote that you see no one the entire time. No sat phone, no cell phone. Now do it solo. And I still don't consider that macho, it's just what people used to do for fun. Macho gets you into life-threatening situations. That's not my cup of tea.

You're doing it wrong. Dig a hole to shit in and burn your toilet paper. Bring a grill and steaks and a cooler full of salad and beer. You've got a truck, FFS. Use it intelligently. When I car camp, it's the lap of luxury. I revel in it.
I would think that if you lost Sat coverage (unless under a bridge) you are not on this planet anymore. Had my Raptor in a slot canyon 2 weeks ago. About 100 yards wide, 500ish foot walls on both sides and sat radio never hic-upped

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would think that if you lost Sat coverage (unless under a bridge) you are not on this planet anymore. Had my Raptor in a slot canyon 2 weeks ago. About 100 yards wide, 500ish foot walls on both sides and sat radio never hic-upped
When I was doing those kind of trips, there were no cell phones or satellite phones. At least one of those trips I had a gps.

OP
OP
S

SVTGUY21

Reaction score
You're doing it wrong. Dig a hole to shit in and burn your toilet paper. Bring a grill and steaks and a cooler full of salad and beer. You've got truck, FFS. Use it intelligently. When I car camp, it's the lap of luxury. I revel in it.

I wish.... In in effort to do the right thing most of the national forest/grass lands carried heavy restrictions. Carry in carry out, no fires, proof of gray and black water, use of castile soap...I tried living it up for the first iteration but the work load was too much. I was planning, organizing, preping, cleaning for me a two children. Castile sucks at removing beef and pork fat. I was using too much water to clean. Next year I plan to car camp for a few days at a time with another adult... it will be far more enjoyable.

OP
OP
S

SVTGUY21

Reaction score
When I was doing those kind of trips, there were no cell phones or satellite phones. At least one of those trips I had a gps.
It was a gross oversite on my part. I overestimated the SAT coverage provided by the truck. Reviewing the trip ND, SD, and MT were the problematic areas. There were at least two time I had to use paper maps because dirt roads were closed and the local municipalities had not set up detours.....we were very very lucky.

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are areas in WV where you will lose Sat coverage . The mountains I guess. It’s where I’m headed when the SHTF

jakerjaker19

Reaction score
I had a 2020 Raptor I built up for Overlanding. I ended up selling it for a 2023. Had the Roof Rack and containers, the goofy shovel and axe holders, Molly panels all over the place, the Decked System, the bed rack, awning and RTT. Ended up pretty frustrated with the rear sag. Basically eliminated most of my suspension travel for off roading. Also had substantial wheel, wheel well rubbing. So reducing weight became my #1 priority. The decked System was the first to go. Not a fan of it. Damn thing weighs 200lbs empty, replaced with four stackable bins at 4lbs each. Next I got rid of all the stupid molle panels I was never using. Then I sold my awful 190lb Roofnest Overland Tent and replaced it with an awesome IKamper Mini at 120lbs. Lastly I added the rear Dever HD +4's and that took care of the awful sag. I invested a lot of money in all that stuff to end up selling the truck and essentially losing most of my overland investments. Im still Overlanding in my 2023, however everything I add to this truck, I weigh it and ask myself "am I actually going to use it?" . All Ive added is front and back Eibach Springs that lifts the truck about 2", Yakima cross bars (16lbs) to hold my 120lb I Kamper RTT and my minimal awning (42lbs.) I use the bin system, don't carry more than 3 gallons of water. Thats all Im doing to it. It's done and I get all the Overland benefits without burying it in unnecessary weight. It drives amazing with all my carefully selected gear and best of all Zero sag or rubbing while off roading. BTW, Im not judging your set up. If it works for you then thats all that matters, instead Im letting you know my experience with the trucks sagging/weight problems. Theres some options out there if the Sag begins to bother you.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wish.... In in effort to do the right thing most of the national forest/grass lands carried heavy restrictions. Carry in carry out, no fires, proof of gray and black water, use of castile soap...I tried living it up for the first iteration but the work load was too much. I was planning, organizing, preping, cleaning for me a two children. Castile sucks at removing beef and pork fat. I was using too much water to clean. Next year I plan to car camp for a few days at a time with another adult... it will be far more enjoyable.
Yeah, doing it with kids would be tough. Here in the four corners states, we don't run into that carry out your turds BS. We use paper plates, so cleanup is the cooking pot, cutting board, and silverware. Gray water goes on the ground, there are plenty of thirsty plants here. I'm still working on a big bottle of Campsuds I got years ago. It works great on grease so long as you heat the water. It used to be considered biodegradable. I don't know if you can still buy it or not. It helps to do a good wipe down before you wash. We mostly have a big salad along with some sort of heat and eat. We make spaghetti sauce or soup or stew ahead of time and freeze it, which adds thermal mass to the coolers. Or we smoke ribs or brisket and reheat in foil. Those casseroles you can get at Costco heat up real nice in a portable grill. And steaks and dogs and chops and chicken are so easy on the grill it should be illegal. Cookies make a great dessert. We eat like kings and it never gets repetitive.

We just sleep under the stars on cots. As comfy as home. If it rains I'll dive under the tonneau if I drove or into a four-man tent that fits the cot if I rode. It's pretty plush.

Last edited:

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
... everything I add to this truck, I weigh it and ask myself "am I actually going to use it?" ... I use the bin system, don't carry more than 3 gallons of water.
Everyone I know who does this stuff for a long time seems to end up here. All of that fancy stuff is dead weight. In more ways than one. But that water. We go to the desert for a week at a time. Two gallons per person per day plus margin plus enough for a couple of hot showers from the solar shower and we end up with 20-25 gallons of the stuff for two people. I've carefully weighed all of my stuff and I can do a week with another guy, in luxury, and be just under the load limit of my truck.