37PP Overlanding Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVTGUY21

Reaction score
Here is my 2022 GEN3 overlanding build.

Background-
- I bought the truck in May of 2023 from some yee-haw dealership in Alabama. It took me weeks to find a dealership who would sell the 37PP at a reasonable price and by reasonable price I mean 2k over sticker.
- Prior to the trip the truck had 1800 miles on the ODO
- I have had zero overlanding experience. Overlanding = vehicle based exploring utilizing only supplies carried by the vehicle in semi-austere environments.

Truck Specific Parts-
Xtrusion Overland XTR1 Bedrack
FreeSpirit Odyssey 3-person roof top tent
Decked Cargoslide
ROTAPAX water/fuel cans
Overland4x4 270* Awning
Diode Dynamic Light (cowl, side, reverse)

Discussion-
The truck cover 7500 miles in three weeks over a multitude of terrain and roads. Specifically in ND, SD, MT, ID, WY, CO we spent alot of time in Baja mode as we navigated nearly 1500 miles of back country and dirt roads.Mechanically the drivetrain truck was flawless. These trucks hate 91 octane, elevation, and speeds over 75mph. Even with a thousand pounds in the bed this truck would hammer down the roughest of dirt roads.

We did develop two issues:
1- A control module failed causing the stereo to auto dim to complete dark every time the daytime headlights were turned on.
2- One of the sunroof shrouds failed.

While on our journey we took count of all the RAM TRXs and Raptors, no big surprised with these numbers.
GEN1 Raptor 16
GEN2 Raptor 49
GEN3 Raptor 19
GEN3 Raptor R 1
RAM TRX 25

Attachments

• IMG_7763.jpg
    IMG_7763.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_7765.jpg
    IMG_7765.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_7818.jpg
    IMG_7818.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Overlanding is a hot topic. I see vehicles kitted up all over the place.
I got a Trukd rack from a guy for less half of what he paid. Gonna mount my recovery and fishing gear on it when I go beach driving/ surf fishing. I think most the ones I see around here are just posers, and personally I’m too old for a roof top tent. Happy you can get out and see the country. Enjoy your overlanding.

OP
OP
S

SVTGUY21

Reaction score
Overlanding is a hot topic. I see vehicles kitted up all over the place.
I got a Trukd rack from a guy for less half of what he paid. Gonna mount my recovery and fishing gear on it when I go beach driving/ surf fishing. I think most the ones I see around here are just posers, and personally I’m too old for a roof top tent. Happy you can get out and see the country. Enjoy your overlanding.
I get that. I saw a lot of people who were glamping out of their rigs, which is cool I guess. It is a nicer way to camp but the experience is almost the same as using a ground tent. It is a far different experience building a rig for expeditions like adventures. It was a gnarly experience being in the middle of no where hours away from humanity surviving (I use that loosely) with only the truck. I cannot tell you the number of days spent without AM/FM/SAT or cell coverage. There is great vast world out there......

RogueClimber

Agent Orange
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a gnarly experience being in the middle of no where hours away from humanity surviving (I use that loosely) with only the truck.

:happy175:

You kill me... Even using the term loosely. Overlanding is glorified car camping. Nothing at all wrong with it, but you sure as hell ain't roughing it.

OP
OP
S

SVTGUY21

Reaction score
lol, you guys are awesome, this whole macho judgement thing is very impressive. I’m still not sure why overlanding gets shit on. Much like everything else the experience varies, right? You could be living good at national park, eating at a restaurant, ******** in a toilet with water on demand or at KOA with a swing pool and put-put course or you could be in some federal grass lands, miles from nearest person, ******** in a 5 gallon bucket, sweating your ass off, eating boiled ramen and peanut butter for days on end. I choose the latter because I wanted my kids to embrace the suck and value our amenities.
Sure any SUV or Truck (body of frame) with a decent 4x4 drive system could have undertaken this trip. I’m sure I didn’t need a 37PP Raptor to go where we went but the truck sure as hell made it fun.
While I have to admit, I’ve had it worse while through-hiking the PCT and living under parachutes surrounded by HESKO barriers in AFG, this was far more mentally and physically taxing than car camping for a weekend.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
lol, you guys are awesome, this whole macho judgement thing is very impressive.

Not macho, just laughing at the "overlanding" snobbery thing. Try going out for a week and carry all of your stuff. In a place so remote that you see no one the entire time. No sat phone, no cell phone. Now do it solo. And I still don't consider that macho, it's just what people used to do for fun. Macho gets you into life-threatening situations. That's not my cup of tea.

******** in a 5 gallon bucket, sweating your ass off, eating boiled ramen and peanut butter for days on end.

You're doing it wrong. Dig a hole to shit in and burn your toilet paper. Bring a grill and steaks and a cooler full of salad and beer. You've got a truck, FFS. Use it intelligently. When I car camp, it's the lap of luxury. I revel in it.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OP, looks like a great trip. I'd fall out of a rooftop tent when getting out to pee two to three times a night.

What exactly do you mean by sunroof shroud failure?