17.4 MPH

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct - the 3.5 is capable in the situation you explained and makes it attractive. However, I just can’t buy an ecoboost and be afraid of the constant battle with ford service. It’s not a proven reliable engine to me after experience and knowing all the TSBs

Bro…you do realize that this motor has been around in some shape or form since 2011. That’s over 11 years and a couple million engines. That’s not even including the 2.7L.

The few issues the 3.5L does have have been well documented and corrected. Ford is so confident in it, it’s the top tier engine in the trucks that they are dependent on for their profit margins. You really think they’re going to put crap engines in a truck with as tight as the competition is?

The Ecoboost is fine. The problem is that you’re over 48, the world has passed you by, and you’re still desperately clinging to old notions that a 6 cylinder can’t possibly be better than an 8, because muh displacement.

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bro…you do realize that this motor has been around in some shape or form since 2011. That’s over 11 years and a couple million engines. That’s not even including the 2.7L.

The few issues the 3.5L does have have been well documented and corrected. Ford is so confident in it, it’s the top tier engine in the trucks that they are dependent on for their profit margins. You really think they’re going to put crap engines in a truck with as tight as the competition is?

The Ecoboost is fine. The problem is that you’re over 48, the world has passed you by, and you’re still desperately clinging to old notions that a 6 cylinder can’t possibly be better than an 8, because muh displacement.
Exactly the point!! This engine has been around since 2010 actually and it has always had some major repeat failures that many of you are ok with. Why is that? Nobody can argue that cam phasers have been a problem since the beginning…. Oil consumption surpasses anything else out there, timing chains stretch, engine misfires /blowout from condensate buildup in intercoolers, oil in gas, plastic cracked oil pans, the list goes on. These are acceptable? All things Ford realized they screwed up on and redesigned, but wow!… those are some bad design failures that John Q. Public has to live through. Ford is a pr marketing machine… not so much a design /test company. I would not trust anything from them.

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Exactly the point!! This engine has been around since 2010 actually and it has always had some major repeat failures that many of you are ok with. Why is that? Nobody can argue that cam phasers have been a problem since the beginning…. Oil consumption surpasses anything else out there, timing chains stretch, engine misfires /blowout from condensate buildup in intercoolers, oil in gas, plastic cracked oil pans, the list goes on. These are acceptable? All things Ford realized they screwed up on and redesigned, but wow!… those are some bad design failures that John Q. Public has to live through. Ford is a pr marketing machine… not so much a design /test company. I would not trust anything from them.
Nobody cares what “you trust”; you’re a know nothing troll who’s been kicked out of here countless times.

Let’s break this down so someone as simple and ignorant as you might be able to grasp the basic concepts:

- There are two generations of 3.5 EcoBoost. They share the design elements of a 60 degree V6 with one turbocharger per bank. Gen 1 was an adaptation of the N/A 3.5. Gen 2 was all new in ‘17.

- There are no “major repeat failures”. Those exist only in your small mind. You don’t even know what a cam phaser is, but here you go running your mouth as usual. Gen 1 engines did not have any common cam phaser issues. Earlier Gen 2 engines could experience premature locking pin wear; that was corrected with a new calibration per the recall.

- There are no design or engineering related oil consumption issues. Earlier engines had a an issue with the PCV that was easily resolved with valve cover replacement.

- Timing chain stretch affected Gen 1 engines only, and it was the direct result of poor oil/filter quality and extended oil change intervals.

- There are no cracked oil pan issues, and your “list that goes on” is merely your pathetic attempt at trying to get others to buy into your conspiracy theories and nonsense.

You’re not only Sasquatch, you’re downright pathetic. Nobody likes you, you don’t own a Raptor, and you’ve been kicked of of this forum multiple times. You seriously need to move on and get a life, you’re a disease around here.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I hate to tell you this, but the 5.4L had some of those issues too. Don’t see you going on about that though.

And Ford is not a design/test company, which is why the Ecoboost powered GTs competed in and dominated their IMSA/WEC class, which is why the Ecoboost was used in a Gen 1 Raptor competing in the Baja 1000, (BTW, you won’t like those results. More power and better fuel efficiency even under heavy loads) which is why Ford regularly competes in Motorsport internationally, which is why a random motor was plucked off the assembly line and beat the living crap out of in 4 different environments. I could keep going, but it won’t change the fact that you have not an ounce of a clue about what the **** you’re talking about.

Last edited:

Broken Wrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same for me, if I drive it like a old man, I can get 17.7 but it is absolutely no fun, apply as little gas as possible, take your foot off the gas as soon as you see things slowing down. It maybe Ralph Nader safe but it sure does suck. normal driving is 14.8 ish. Only 3800 miles on it so it is still improving a little. I got 13.0 towing a Uhaul trailer with a 1970 Bronco on it, (bought a new project to keep me out of trouble), now the work begins...sooo much rust!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Same for me, if I drive it like a old man, I can get 17.7 but it is absolutely no fun, apply as little gas as possible, take your foot off the gas as soon as you see things slowing down. It maybe Ralph Nader safe but it sure does suck. normal driving is 14.8 ish. Only 3800 miles on it so it is still improving a little. I got 13.0 towing a Uhaul trailer with a 1970 Bronco on it, (bought a new project to keep me out of trouble), now the work begins...sooo much rust!
Can we get pics of that build onto another thread, since this one is comparing gen 1 to gen 2 , lol.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 11-year-old GEN1 with 95K miles on the clock gets 16.0 to 16.5 MPG on summer gas, and there is no turbo boost penalty for driving at high speeds. Not much difference, really.
It takes a certain amount of energy to move 6000 lbs of truck around.

The V6 is mainly more efficient at low engine loads because it has 2 less cylinder ring packs dragging on the cylinder walls.

When you are accelerating, going up a decent grade, and the engine load far outweighs the drag from those 2 sets of rings, then as you said- not much difference really.

Given the huge tires on these trucks, there's just not much time when you are at low load, other than idling. Once the Gen 2 guys start putting aftermarket tires on in place the the featherweight OEM BFGs, they'll see the heavier tire with less efficient tread pattern drag their mileage down a lot since they will be spending even less time in that low engine load range.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thats lit, ill take a 160lbs off the front end. That plus the aluminum… probs looking at 4-500lbs out of the whole chassis.
2020 scab is 5525lbs and a 2010 scab is 6006 lbs with that engine configuration curb weight , 2021 weight is a bit more at 5740 over a 2020 screw of 5697lbs. Thats minus gas weigh at 6lbs/gallon.