SYNC Microphone #4! Thanks to Ford I can see a light at the end of the tunnel...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
and it's not another train :mrgreen:

SYNC Microphone - Fix #4 is Underway

The problem is the SYNC microphone that was installed at the factory (in the bottom of the rearview mirror) had problems and Ford came up with a "fix" that involved putting in a new, stick-on wired microphone glued to the headliner. That fix fixed the problem but only temporarily. Inevitably the SYNC system would stop hearing and I couldn't use my phone handsfree nor could I communicate verbally with SYNC.

I took my Raptor in to the dealership yesterday morning and talked to my service guy. I asked him for Ford's Customer Service number: 800-392-3673 Feel free to make note of this as you should call it if you ever want to talk to someone about your Ford vehicle.

I called them from the dealership and told them about the repeated problems. I explained that I didn't want to do Groundhog Day anymore. I wanted the problem fixed once and the dealer has only been able to replace the cheapie microphone with another one each time.

Customer Service was very polite and provided service. Stephanie promised I would get a call back by the 2nd business day. I told her I wouldn't pick the vehicle up until I heard from Ford CS and she said that would be fine.

Today, 24 hours after calling them, I got a call from Mark at Ford CS (different phone number: 866-631-3788 - I won't provide his extension). He told me the following:

* Ford is aware of the problem with the SYNC communication/microphone issue
* Ford engineers are working on a revised fix (other than the current fix) and should have a correction by the end of this year
* In the meantime they are having my dealership's service people revert back to the original OEM microphone which they expect will function (hopefully) better than the cheapie stick-on microphone glued to the headliner.

Mark said he will call me next week to see how the repair is functioning. And he promised that as soon as the Ford engineers have a revised fix for the SYNC microphone problem they will contact me so I can bring the vehicle in for what is hoped to be a permanent fix.

While I wish they could fix it once-and-for-all now, I'm pleased with their effort and explanation and I hope they'll soon be calling with THE fix.

Thumbs up :thumbsup: to Ford for their customer service and support. If they can't fix it at least they scored some needed points until they can. Too bad they didn't offer to send me some Ford swag. That's always a good customer service gesture :)

Here's the previous post and link to the thread:

Microphone #3 died this week. SYNC listens but can't hear.

Time for yet another trip to the dealership so they can install yet another 99 cent POS microphone that's glued onto the headliner as a replacement for the POS microphone they put into the mirrors in the early Raptors.

I'm tired of this ****. Ford needs to come up with a fix that actually works. I don't have the time to keep going to the dealership so they can put in another Radio Shack microphone made in China.

I suspect it's not the microphone - there must be another cause for this repeated problem. Anyone know who I can talk to at Ford about this so I can stop this cycle of having to take my Raptor to the dealership so they can install another stick-on microphone that'll work for a few weeks/months and then go out again?

Taking it to the dealer isn't going to fix this problem once and for all.

This will be 4 microphones plus the original factory one in the mirror in 12 months!

Link: http://www.svtoffroad.com/showthrea...r-Me-Now-quot-Dearborn-We-Have-a-Problem-quot

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dan did they ever reformat your sync with any of the mic's? My sync did get better after that was done but it still has some issues.

Thanks Tank. You know how it is - you ask questions at the dealership but you (I) don't get to talk to the mechanic. And they don't want to tell you anyway.

Bottom line, after being in the shop 4 times for the same problem they better have reformatted it, rubbed its belly, patted its head and told it to be a good little SYNC.

She better start listening to me and soon!

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It sounds like the solution is close! I guess I'm lucky that mine has not had a problem yet.

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Tank. You know how it is - you ask questions at the dealership but you (I) don't get to talk to the mechanic. And they don't want to tell you anyway.

Bottom line, after being in the shop 4 times for the same problem they better have reformatted it, rubbed its belly, patted its head and told it to be a good little SYNC.

She better start listening to me and soon!
She likes it when you yell at her. If I ever talk to my gf like I talk to the sync bitch I would be in jail.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I got my Raptor back after 4 or 5 trips there for the microphone problem.

I've already updated you on the issue. I was told that there's a power supply problem (not sure where or what that means) and as mentioned, Ford engineering is working on a fix that they hope to have next month.

They removed the replacement wired Radio Shack looking cheapie and reversed things so the microphone in the rearview mirror is functioning (for now).

Other good news - I finally got Sirius Radio back on and Sirius TravelLink and Weather are both functioning too.

All is good on the Raptor front. :thumbsup: