Thoughts on capless gas fill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My truck came with a special funnel that is velcroed to the jack..... just for being able to put fuel in from any gas can

Irunone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rentar, I respectfully disagree, round tube, finger, etc in round hole, not too dificult to figure out. If someone tries to mess with tank and they see locking cap, much more likely to move on to next vehicle without one. Agree 1-2 more steps at fill-up but for me worth it for peace of mind.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rentar, I respectfully disagree, round tube, finger, etc in round hole, not too dificult to figure out. If someone tries to mess with tank and they see locking cap, much more likely to move on to next vehicle without one. Agree 1-2 more steps at fill-up but for me worth it for peace of mind.

Yeah it's not difficult to figure out, but you're comparing apples to oranges here so your arguement isn't valid. You know whats even easier to figure out than the release clips on a capless filler neck? A conventional filler neck with a screw on cap! :crazy: You can swap your conventional filler neck screw on cap for a lockable one, and you can get a lockable cap for the capless style filler neck.

You want to compare apples to apples? The capless style is slightly more tamper proof than a conventional screw on cap.

You want to compare oranges to oranges? The capless style with a lockable cap is equally as tamper proof as a conventional screw on cap with a lock.

It's great until someone swipes your $140 tank of gass. You'd get a cap right quick! Locking cap is peace of mind.

And again, since lockable caps typically aren't standard on any vehicles, and it's an add-on, it's a moot point. You can get a lockable cap for a screw on type, and you can get a lockable cap for the capless type. Doesn't make the capless any less of a good design.

justthebest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No dust / other crap on mine even after winter / lots of summer dust. I did opt for the locking cap because I don't want some ******* putting something in there, as the door does not lock

OP
OP
Blukrom

Blukrom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. Who knew a gas cap could cause heated debate. Lol. But it's nice to hear from guys that are using their trucks in all different environments and not having issues. The fuel filter issue is interesting, can one of you guys take a look in your manual and see if the fuel filter is on the list at one of the service intervals? Regardless if it's in the tank I would think it would need to be changed..

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
I have 33k miles and never had the inside of my fuel filler get dusty/dirty. I love the capless filler. Its a pain when I drive my parents vehicles and have to unscrew the stupid cap.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I have 33k miles and never had the inside of my fuel filler get dusty/dirty. I love the capless filler. Its a pain when I drive my parents vehicles and have to unscrew the stupid cap.

I agree, it's actually kind of nice not to have a cap.

DEADEYE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this is brilliant . I did not having to **** with a cap and it will just get better with Winter months coming . You don't have to worry about some cheap plastic leash snapping , forgetting the cap or getting gas on your hands , which usually happens at the worst possible time .

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
or if you're in NJ and not allowed by law to pump your own gas, you don't have to worry about osama chipping the paint on your fender by unscrewing and just dropping the gas cap against the paint every f'ing time!