Thoughts on the Diamondback Switchback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well I was just navigating to the Diamondback webpage to order my DB SE and I noticed they have a new model? It’s called the switchback. I waited a year (MY22) to determine if I wanted the SE based on my first pickup and coming from an 08 Wrangler. I also had my eye on all the regular pickup bed covers mentioned in many of the posts here. Now this just completely just blew up my world. It looks better than the SE since it folds back more than the SE but I wanted to post and ask if I was missing anything on this that my fellow FRF members could tell?

My primary use for a bed cover is so I can mount surfboards on top of the bed cover on trips in Baja. The yeti cooler, a few 6ft surfboards (they only fit diagonally) and all my gear take up most of the bed. I like being able to take at least one other person with me but two would be great. I managed 2 total people in my 08 wrangler for 14 years and 230k miles. I don’t plan on ordering the kayak/surf bars that are extra on the DB. I was planning on just using a pool noodle or similar to protect the boards, the pre installed cleats and some ratchet straps.

If there are any DB owners I’d love to hear if you would have rather had this or the current SE/HD. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
S

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Nex @John M BUNMAN

I was just about to order the SE but this is a new (at least to me) product from Diamond Back. It folds up into 3rds rather than a 50/50 split on shocks. Which would you rather have of the two choices? I’m pretty sold on the Diamond Back just need to narrow down the model. Was going with the SE but this just appeared on the site as I was adding to my cart.

Last edited:

Sparda1123

Reaction score
Have the DB HD, I like the concept because I'm too lazy to lift the cover off the bed but it's not like it's hard just heavy/ awkward by yourself. The cover is only held on by 4 clamps. I wouldn't buy it personally cause I have gear mounted under my HD that I couldn't do with that.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
I haven’t seen the Tri-Fold, but I’m very happy with the front rear split.
each panel is easily folded back on the other if you have tall stuff to haul. Either or both are easily removed to open the bed except for the 6-8” panel clamped in the middle. The TRI-Fold may make it a one man job to remove the panels?

OP
OP
S

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I haven’t seen the Tri-Fold, but I’m very happy with the front rear split.
each panel is easily folded back on the other if you have tall stuff to haul. Either or both are easily removed to open the bed except for the 6-8” panel clamped in the middle. The TRI-Fold may make it a one man job to remove the panels?
If the DB cover is closed and locked can the remote/auto tailgate still function up and down?