Thoughts on the Diamondback Switchback

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does the auto tailgate still work with the DB cover in the down/locked position?

Is that the HD model?

Yes, it still works and yes, it's the HD model; DB had a special that when you buy cover you get free light and the rack system for inside the lid. I too plan to mount a shovel / flashlight.
Was that last year's Black Friday sale or did I miss a sale over this summer? I'm waiting for that exact sale to get my cover.

RogueClimber

Agent Orange
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, this is disappointing. Is there an adjustment that can be made? I would not purchase this if I couldn't use the auto tail gate.

Anything that sits on top of your tailgate could cause it not to shut. And if you want watertight you need to have something on top of your tailgate...

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, this is disappointing. Is there an adjustment that can be made? I would not purchase this if I couldn't use the auto tail gate.
Yeah, remove the gasket that seals against the tailgate. It's going to be one or the other with the design closing force of the tailgate and interference from the gasket to create a "weather tight seal".

OP
OP
S

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yea I guess I am being overly dramatic. I like the DB for security and watertight and because I could technically mount surfboards on top of it with the tie-down cleats. I don't know of a low-profile top that can do everything the DB can. The one thing I don't like about the DB is how much it sticks up. I like the look of a low profile but secure watertight top. I don't think I'm going to find that.

Then a part of me says screw it and go with an RSI smart cap or similar but I don't want the rear to sag and have to alter with different springs. Kinda brings in a whole new cost factor to cover the bed.

Cfreeman783

Reaction score
Yea I guess I am being overly dramatic. I like the DB for security and watertight and because I could technically mount surfboards on top of it with the tie-down cleats. I don't know of a low-profile top that can do everything the DB can. The one thing I don't like about the DB is how much it sticks up. I like the look of a low profile but secure watertight top. I don't think I'm going to find that.

Then a part of me says screw it and go with an RSI smart cap or similar but I don't want the rear to sag and have to alter with different springs. Kinda brings in a whole new cost factor to cover the bed.
You can adjust the tightness of the lid to be able to use the remote tail gate up and down sir, FYI. Just get the DB you will love it man. I got mine to work up and down with the cover after a hot day of the gaskets in sun.