Raptor VS F150 frame difference?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I own a 2011 Raptor and it is unfortunate that Ford did evaluate the data from their qualification/durability testing before putting this truck out. Mine has never been jumped but it is driven off road because where I need to go requires a lot of the capabilities of the Raptor. Previously other trucks were modified to be able to go where I needed and the Raptor just needed bigger wheels and tires along with the "perch" setting raised.

The Raptor has very serious problems and there are more and more reports of frame damage. Many do not involve jumping or other extreme driving and as this frame gets more and more fatigued the rate of failure will increase at an increasing rate.

At some point there will be a Class Action Suit brought against Ford and the statements that the Chief Engineer made may come back to haunt him. Personally, I just want Ford to compensate me for the reduced value that the truck has in the marketplace. Do you really think Ford will admit to a engineering problem such as this? It would smear the Ford and SVT name requiring 100's of millions of dollars in advertising to overcome and everyone knows that that is not going to happen! If there is any doubt just watch the Chevy super bowl commercial---it would be a dream come true for GM to see Ford have to eat crow and pull a SVT vehicle because of structural failures.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own a 2011 Raptor and it is unfortunate that Ford did evaluate the data from their qualification/durability testing before putting this truck out. Mine has never been jumped but it is driven off road because where I need to go requires a lot of the capabilities of the Raptor. Previously other trucks were modified to be able to go where I needed and the Raptor just needed bigger wheels and tires along with the "perch" setting raised.

The Raptor has very serious problems and there are more and more reports of frame damage. Many do not involve jumping or other extreme driving and as this frame gets more and more fatigued the rate of failure will increase at an increasing rate.

At some point there will be a Class Action Suit brought against Ford and the statements that the Chief Engineer made may come back to haunt him. Personally, I just want Ford to compensate me for the reduced value that the truck has in the marketplace. Do you really think Ford will admit to a engineering problem such as this? It would smear the Ford and SVT name requiring 100's of millions of dollars in advertising to overcome and everyone knows that that is not going to happen! If there is any doubt just watch the Chevy super bowl commercial---it would be a dream come true for GM to see Ford have to eat crow and pull a SVT vehicle because of structural failures.

Well Boss, you posted claiming you were almost killed at high speed while driving off road... Do ya think that might be some of the cause of your bent frame...

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I highly doubt that. Considering that the F150 and the Raptor's frame are, for the most part, identical, why don't the normal F150's have the same issue? You're saying "not extreme," which is very vague.
Example:
I'm afraid of heights to some extent. Putting me on a pallet lifted up a forklift 1-2 stories high is "very extreme" to me. But for some reason, my dad doesn't have a problem with it.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not trying to be ugly but after you understand what goes into the design of a vehicle then you will not make those kinds of statements. The forces and the way those forces are absorbed into the structure are engineered to do so in a very specific manner. You are comparing apples and oranges because the F150 regular frame has absolutely nothing to do with this product. The suspension is designed completely different the “frame” on the F150 has nothing to do with this truck.

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

Well Boss, you posted claiming you were almost killed at high speed while driving off road... Do ya think that might be some of the cause of your bent frame...

Not me --- and my frame is not bent. You have me confused with someone else.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a pretty good explanation for this controversial topic that has been reiterated many times. I don't think it needs to be said again.

We both aren't on the same page and that's okay!

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be ugly but after you understand what goes into the design of a vehicle then you will not make those kinds of statements. The forces and the way those forces are absorbed into the structure are engineered to do so in a very specific manner. You are comparing apples and oranges because the F150 regular frame has absolutely nothing to do with this product. The suspension is designed completely different the “frame” on the F150 has nothing to do with this truck.

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

Not me --- and my frame is not bent. You have me confused with someone else.

Hmm... I thought your truck has lost some value because of this problem... Oh wait, you are saying that your truck has a damaged reputation because of the problems of others and you would join in a class action law suit to get reimbursed... Is that what you mean?

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hmm... I thought your truck has lost some value because of this problem... Oh wait, you are saying that your truck has a damaged reputation because of the problems of others and you would join in a class action law suit to get reimbursed... Is that what you mean?

I will explain in such a manner as you cannot fail to understand.

The truck has depreciated more in value than it would have if the frame issue did not exist. Remember what happened to the Trooper when CR came out and said it was not safe?

As time goes on this problem will only get worse when the mainstream rags start discussing this in detail. Don't really think that will happen until the problem either becomes more prevalent or Ford decides to address it and will allow the press to talk about it. You don’t want to be the first to make Ford mad because all of the rags get a large portion of their revenue from the manufactures.

The $ damage for me is done and I will keep the truck for another year or so because after 2 to 3 years they have too many miles and I get rid of them. Personally I am not a Ford, Chevy, Dodge etc guy-----could care less actually just buy the best vehicle at the time when I am ready to get one. Have more than one person ask me if I was going to “sell” the truck but no I am going to keep it I have 10k in mods that I want to enjoy for a little longer.

I would even accept let's say a 5k voucher to be used on another Ford truck. Doubt that will happen but you never know.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will explain in such a manner as you cannot fail to understand.

The truck has depreciated more in value than it would have if the frame issue did not exist.

Do you truly believe this? I went to the dealer for a new 2012 and had them look at my truck for a trade in. I was offered 33k... I paid 38k 2 years ago! So you think that if the frame bending issue never showed itself I could get more? I say you are wrong in your assessment about this issue... But, I am biased to Ford since they pay me to stay home... and I am Ford loyal but, I have had issues and will be the first to jump their ass but, this frame issue is not a issue...
I have never owned a new vehicle that has kept this great resale value... And I have owned many many many trucks in my career...