Transmission heating up quickly?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine doesn't get that hot either. The highest level it has been is 209º while fully loaded and pulling 7, 000 lbs. Definitely seems like a problem to me.

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This might be a dumb question slash answer but hey its FRF!

Noticed you didn't mention rather it was manual or all automatic shifting. I noticed sometimes in automatic mode it does seem to jump around from gear to gear, in manual you can control it better to stay in gears longer even if you are turning more RPMs which is what I like to do is keep the motor in the RPMs. Should in theory slow down the heating and if it doesn't reach the 240+ range then something to do with clutches and valving. If it does the exact same manual compared to automatic mode then probably a bearing or something like that. The reason I say try that is maybe it might help the dealership narrow down the problem between either a stationary part compared to a moving component.

So many people forget about the manual setting. It's a great towing and off roading tool that really helps keep your RPMs in the high range to benefit when you need traction

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

OP
OP
Nitefighter

Nitefighter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright gents I just got of the phone with my service manager. He talked to SVT and a local trans builder, they both said the trans should not be heating up that quickly and that an aftermarket cooler is not the solution right now. What they did suggest is replacing the "check valve" and "thermostat" (just like WIZ said). They said the thermostat partially opens at 195* and fully opens at 215*. So now I am just waiting for when they can get the parts in.

wiz1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright gents I just got of the phone with my service manager. He talked to SVT and a local trans builder, they both said the trans should not be heating up that quickly and that an aftermarket cooler is not the solution right now. What they did suggest is replacing the "check valve" and "thermostat" (just like WIZ said). They said the thermostat partially opens at 195* and fully opens at 215*. So now I am just waiting for when they can get the parts in.

Great news Ben....Glad they are stepping up....
:cheers:

OP
OP
Nitefighter

Nitefighter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm telling ya man it's been quite an ordeal to get them to see what I'm talking about. I'm glad that the service advisor and service manager haven't just tried to blow it off though. After these parts go in we'll see if that is the fix (most likely will be) and then I'll start saving for an Alpha 1 cooler!

SVT_4X4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep us posted. I added another cooler to mine, and when getting on it hard in the sand, I have it 230's. Hotter than I would like it to be. Normally running around the dunes I will be between 205 to 215.

OP
OP
Nitefighter

Nitefighter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They did but during normal driving conditions it would function as it should (opening partially at 195*). They were only driving it around town and on the freeway. When I took the service manager out he said he would never let his techs drive the vehicle the way I did for fear of them wrecking it. I don't blame them for not being able to find the problem with the way they were driving it, it is just frustrating that it took this long to get the service manager out on a test drive so he could see what I'm talking about.

BTW thanks everyone for giving me other things to look for! And a huge thanks to Wiz for taking time out of his busy busy days of work/packing to help me.

Last edited:

Evilmonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the dealership gets it fixed. We need to get back out and have some fun!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter