Radiator Failed on 2013

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
After waiting for 4 months I went to dealer to pick up my new truck today. Dropped off some studded duratracs to have mounted. Got a call an hour later from the service manager. When they had it on the lift they noticed coolant leaking from it. After inspection they found that the radiator needed to be replaced. They will have a new one in by tomorrow.

I phoned Ford directly and requested to have and extended warranty added to the truck at no cost due to this failure. Waiting for a response. Thoughts? If they don't step up for the extended warranty I'm not going to take it no matter what.

Should I take the truck or request another one?

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did just that with a 97 expedition I bought. Drove it home stalled on the road, waited for 30 minutes and ti started... got it to the house. next morning it wouldnt start, called the hot line had it towed to the dealer and said you can keep it... The next day they called me and had another one ready for me to pick up but, this was not a SVT vehicle like the Raptor. No way would they have one the next day for you...

Marcs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After waiting for 4 months I went to dealer to pick up my new truck today. Dropped off some studded duratracs to have mounted. Got a call an hour later from the service manager. When they had it on the lift they noticed coolant leaking from it. After inspection they found that the radiator needed to be replaced. They will have a new one in by tomorrow.

I phoned Ford directly and requested to have and extended warranty added to the truck at no cost due to this failure. Waiting for a response. Thoughts? If they don't step up for the extended warranty I'm not going to take it no matter what.

Should I take the truck or request another one?

Yes it sucks, but at the end of the day it just a radiator. Just get it replaced and you will be on your way. If needed for your own peace of mind have it properly documented at the dealership. I would seriously doubt Ford would give you an extended warranty on the entire vehicle for a leaking radiator that was caught before delivery. Take the truck and enjoy it.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree with everyone else, get a new Rad and take the truck. Be lucky that the dealer was honest with you and upfront. I don't know where the rad was made, but it could have been a poor seal between the plastic tank and the aluminum cooler. Ask them what failed.

In the end, it will be fine. Enjoy the truck, everyone else is!

svt83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, can't hurt to ask for extended warranty or a service package for the trouble, but not sure if I'd wait several more months for a new truck! If it was a more serious issue, or faster vehicle to replace I would, but its not. You're getting a new one and sounds like you have a great dealer! Enjoy the truck! You've already waited long enough.

fordfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bet is the replace the Rad and send u on ur way, in my experience they will only give warrenty, service package etc if it has been a big problem and waiting on parts etc.

Dv8tor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My lower AC line going into the condenser has a crack in it or something. I noticed green shit dripping down the right side frame rail when I was doing the mid perch on mine. It's not coolant on mine. It's the oil or dye in the AC system.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My lower AC line going into the condenser has a crack in it or something. I noticed green shit dripping down the right side frame rail when I was doing the mid perch on mine. It's not coolant on mine. It's the oil or dye in the AC system.

If your leaking that much freon, then there is none left in your system. The AC compressor will not kick on with low refrigerant. Check to see if it does when your turn your AC on.

Yukon Joe

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Ford called back today and offered a 5 year warranty. I accepted. Very happy with the ease of my request and fast turn around.