How much to replace transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been having a few issues with my transmission and i'm just wondering if it's cheaper to just have it replaced with a new unit. The front seal went out about 6 months ago, no biggy but the dealership charged me $1,800 to fix it. Now It has a electronic issue that the dealership wants $2,400 to fix. That comes out to $4,200 so far and the transmission is still running on the original innards...same bands, clutches with 100,000 miles on them.

Anyhow, not saying I'll do it, just curious.

I'm still looking at another $2,000-2,500 in a power steering and AC leak. Needs new tires as well.

Maybe i should just wait and use that as a down payment on a 2017 LOL

OP
OP
SVTRay

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I looked up one a while back , Remanufactured/ 3/year warranty from ford was $5000 range plus install i would say $6000 ish installed.

Ouch, it was looking pretty good until I saw that $6,000 installed lol The last time I had a transmission replaced, I did it my self. It took me an hour to pull a Chevy TH-400 and $400 to have it rebuilt. Times have changed greatly.

It wouldn't bother me as much if it wasn't for these issues being so seemingly minor.

Thanks

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ouch, it was looking pretty good until I saw that $6,000 installed lol The last time I had a transmission replaced, I did it my self. It took me an hour to pull a Chevy TH-400 and $400 to have it rebuilt. Times have changed greatly.

It wouldn't bother me as much if it wasn't for these issues being so seemingly minor.

Thanks

I'm with you - my dad and I dropped the trans out of our '76 Chevy in the morning, took it to the trans shop, went and had lunch. Picked it up later that day and put it back in after Church on Sunday. Total out of pocket was like $400.00, and my dad chewed my ass for 2 weeks after that telling me to take it easy from here on out!

Change is good, but damn this shit gets expensive......:mad:

OP
OP
SVTRay

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm with you - my dad and I dropped the trans out of our '76 Chevy in the morning, took it to the trans shop, went and had lunch. Picked it up later that day and put it back in after Church on Sunday. Total out of pocket was like $400.00, and my dad chewed my ass for 2 weeks after that telling me to take it easy from here on out!

Change is good, but damn this shit gets expensive......:mad:

Good times!

Ya, it comes with the territory of owning a newer vehicle. I'm a little more beat up and older than back in the day as well. So i tend to leave the work up to the dealership

All in all, I'm still pleased with the vehicle. I've had it 6 years this June and put it through the paces. It has spent time in the West Texas oilfield and driven through the Colorado Rockies multiple times. Outside of a few minor leaks and misc electronic part, it's been a very dependable and fun vehicle. I would defiantly consider another one, not sure on a 2017 but maybe a good deal on a 2015. Just have to wait and see.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good times!

Ya, it comes with the territory of owning a newer vehicle. I'm a little more beat up and older than back in the day as well. So i tend to leave the work up to the dealership

All in all, I'm still pleased with the vehicle. I've had it 6 years this June and put it through the paces. It has spent time in the West Texas oilfield and driven through the Colorado Rockies multiple times. Outside of a few minor leaks and misc electronic part, it's been a very dependable and fun vehicle. I would defiantly consider another one, not sure on a 2017 but maybe a good deal on a 2015. Just have to wait and see.
I'm in the same boat as you, just passed my 6 year anniversary with this beast and almost 100k, no leaks yet, but I would drop in a new tranny, it's not 1000 to install either, it's maybe a 4 hr job, well maybe more after they fight with the stripped bolts on the skid plate, lol

OP
OP
SVTRay

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you, just passed my 6 year anniversary with this beast and almost 100k, no leaks yet, but I would drop in a new tranny, it's not 1000 to install either, it's maybe a 4 hr job, well maybe more after they fight with the stripped bolts on the skid plate, lol

Oh I see now, $6,000 was the total lol

It's been a crazy day for me. Thats not too bad but it's probably closer to 2K here to install it. Anyhow, I'm going to fix it this time but will seriously consider a new unit if anything else happens.