How many of you have had to replace the tailgate actuator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCAR911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just loaded the truck all up to leave for the holidays and boom...tailgate wouldn't open again. Kept pushing the button but could hear the actuator slowing down and getting lazier with every push until it did nothing. Truck starts fine so it's not the battery. Instead of ******** with the dealership who will probably do it wrong, I ordered the part to install myself. Looks very simple. . Seems to be common?

wazatataza

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not a common problem I see pop up here, but it all depends on the use, climate and age of the truck.

I’m sure those that use the tail gate to drink Starbucks with their boyfriends in Napa valley don’t see the issue as much as those that maybe haul stuff in more acute climates.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sooo, in my experience it is one or both latches if you can hear a click. Either way a fairly cheap fix. Latches are like $20 each. Actuator isn't much more.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I have had an issue a few times since e the recall was done. Dealership said it was a wiring issue. So if they use bυττ connectors it might not have a good connection. Does it work with the key fob?

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had an issue a few times since e the recall was done. Dealership said it was a wiring issue. So if they use bυττ connectors it might not have a good connection. Does it work with the key fob?
I had this same thing after the recall. Not sure if they just fudged a wiring splice or actually replaced an actuator.

OP
OP
SCAR911

SCAR911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. Didn't work with the fob. I have a new part coming today, so I'll see what the issue is when I rip the tailgate apart.

OP
OP
SCAR911

SCAR911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not a common problem I see pop up here, but it all depends on the use, climate and age of the truck.

I’m sure those that use the tail gate to drink Starbucks with their boyfriends in Napa valley don’t see the issue as much as those that maybe haul stuff in more acute climates.
When I go out with my boyfriend's, we usually take the Prius. Other wise I'm only using the tailgate to load up weapons for the occasional bank heist

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i had to change the lock actuator on my gen1, but it still had a normal handle, and not a button to release..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter