Help with Raptor Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So about 2 years ago I got the R1 Concepts Full Slotted/Vented Rotor/Pad Kit from a Forum Vendor. I also got the Stainless Steel Line Kit. I tow semi often (sleds, ATVs, UTVs) so I wanted the best brakes I could get that would fit under the OEM 17" wheels...

Upon initial installation I was "happy" but not "thrilled." Braking felt good, but not blow me away great. My definition of great brakes are brakes that you don't have to get way into the pedal to have a good solid braking feeling and more importantly results taking place.

I was happy with the OEM Raptor brakes...not sure if they are better than a standard F150, but again, I wanted better.

So about 6 months ago I started noticing increased pedal effort and depth to achieve braking, and I let it go until the weather got nicer and things slowed down chaos wise with winter sports, and brought the truck back to the shop that installed the R1 Brakes. They are friends as well as a shop so NO BS goes on. They found all 4 Rotors to be in great shape, as well as all the Pad to be wearing evenly. None of that was a surprise as I do NOT get any vibration or issues like that...just NOT good solid braking/stopping.

So I called the Vendor on here who I got the brakes from...he said to bleed the brakes. We did. Zero difference. I called him back...he said w/the synthetic DOT3 fluids to have the Brakes fully flushed and filled and bled like a Radiator with a Fluid Flush and Fill. This is a major ordeal in the sense that a dealer has to do it b/c of the computer involvement with the ABS system and the whole rigmarole. I am friendly with the dealer so they set it up, and the Serv. Mngr is familiar with R1 Brakes b/c of the GT500 guys using them too, so he got that all done. Zero difference as well...brakes still suck.

So now the Truck is going back to the dealer (My NAV keeps losing its way too so that needs to be readressed) on Monday, but I am reaching out to you guys for any help and advice...PLEASE lay it on me if there are things to check, known issues, etc, etc.

Thanks as always for any help and advice.

Orionkhan

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So about 2 years ago I got the R1 Concepts Full Slotted/Vented Rotor/Pad Kit from a Forum Vendor. I also got the Stainless Steel Line Kit. I tow semi often (sleds, ATVs, UTVs) so I wanted the best brakes I could get that would fit under the OEM 17" wheels...

Upon initial installation I was "happy" but not "thrilled." Braking felt good, but not blow me away great. My definition of great brakes are brakes that you don't have to get way into the pedal to have a good solid braking feeling and more importantly results taking place.

I was happy with the OEM Raptor brakes...not sure if they are better than a standard F150, but again, I wanted better.

So about 6 months ago I started noticing increased pedal effort and depth to achieve braking, and I let it go until the weather got nicer and things slowed down chaos wise with winter sports, and brought the truck back to the shop that installed the R1 Brakes. They are friends as well as a shop so NO BS goes on. They found all 4 Rotors to be in great shape, as well as all the Pad to be wearing evenly. None of that was a surprise as I do NOT get any vibration or issues like that...just NOT good solid braking/stopping.

So I called the Vendor on here who I got the brakes from...he said to bleed the brakes. We did. Zero difference. I called him back...he said w/the synthetic DOT3 fluids to have the Brakes fully flushed and filled and bled like a Radiator with a Fluid Flush and Fill. This is a major ordeal in the sense that a dealer has to do it b/c of the computer involvement with the ABS system and the whole rigmarole. I am friendly with the dealer so they set it up, and the Serv. Mngr is familiar with R1 Brakes b/c of the GT500 guys using them too, so he got that all done. Zero difference as well...brakes still suck.

So now the Truck is going back to the dealer (My NAV keeps losing its way too so that needs to be readressed) on Monday, but I am reaching out to you guys for any help and advice...PLEASE lay it on me if there are things to check, known issues, etc, etc.

Thanks as always for any help and advice.

For the NAV issue, try disconnecting the battery for a while (like overnight). I had the issue of it being off when I went up to 37s. That fixed it.

OP
OP
B

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the NAV issue, try disconnecting the battery for a while (like overnight). I had the issue of it being off when I went up to 37s. That fixed it.

I have the OEM wheels and tires on right now. And this has been "fixed" by the dealer twice now via updates, etc. Very frustrating.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All you did was swap pads, rotors and lines with a different brand. There is likely little difference, and it could easily be worse if the new pad is not as good as OEM for your type of driving.

The easy solution is swapping in a different pad up front. I like Centric Posiquiet ceramics. The have good initial bite on application when cold, which is probably what you are wanting.

mmaterni

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All you did was swap pads, rotors and lines with a different brand. There is likely little difference, and it could easily be worse if the new pad is not as good as OEM for your type of driving.

The easy solution is swapping in a different pad up front. I like Centric Posiquiet ceramics. The have good initial bite on application when cold, which is probably what you are wanting.

I have the R1 pads and rotors. I noticed a large improvement over stock. I did unofficial panic braking test before swap and after R1 install. Braking distance decreased by almost 10 feet on dry pavement. Kind of sounds like there may be additional factors going on here. I hope the dealer is able to fihure it out for you. Good luck with the nav issue as well. Don't have nav in mine so clueless.

OP
OP
B

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes correct, and that may be the route I go...but many people have the R1 Pads and Rotors and experience success...very frustrating.

I have the R1 pads and rotors. I noticed a large improvement over stock. I did unofficial panic braking test before swap and after R1 install. Braking distance decreased by almost 10 feet on dry pavement. Kind of sounds like there may be additional factors going on here. I hope the dealer is able to fihure it out for you. Good luck with the nav issue as well. Don't have nav in mine so clueless.

lol on the NAV, and roger that on the R1 set up...and I agree it "seems" like something else is going on...but they already inspected the master cylinder, etc when they did the complete flush and fill...dropping it off now.

ramx50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your pads might have a "glaze" built up on them reducing the "bite" (friction feel) they should have.

I have had this happen to me before.

Solution: have the pads and rotors lightly scuffed (sand paper or da grinder) to remove any "glaze" billed up then brake them in again like they are a new set of pads.