Parking Brake Alert Malfunction - Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Raptor with about 27K miles. The other day while driving on the freeway, the dash lit up and said Parking Brake Malfunction. I got a picture of the wrench, the dash display told me multiple things were now unavailable, including changing driving modes. I thought the world was coming to an end. o_O I pulled over, shut everything down and restarted. It was still there. I shut everything down again,open and closed the door and locked the truck. I unlocked it and started it up again. No malfunctions. The truck drove fine.

I few days later, it did it again as I pulled into my driveway. I followed the same procedure the malfunction lights went off. The only thing that has been done....about a month ago....I replaced the front brakes and rotors.

I did a search on here and the internet and could only find a parking brake issue that people were having back in 2015.

If I can't figure it out, I have no issue taking it to the dealer, but I like to go in with as much information as I can, so I can speak intelligently about the issue and get a straight answer.

Any help is appreciated.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 2012 3.5 ecoboost does that from time to time at highway speeds. I just used my foot to "pull" the parking brake pedal as I pulled the handle.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 2012 3.5 ecoboost does that from time to time at highway speeds. I just used my foot to "pull" the parking brake pedal as I pulled the handle.
Yea, that isn't the same.

2019 up f150 have electronic parking brake.

To the OP. Check that both rear caliper electric parking brake actuators are plugged in. Specifically the drivers side. The drivers side needs a shield if you ask me. Twice in off roading applications an object (rock) has flipped up and pulled the wires out of the drivers side connector on mine. The wires snap back in and all is good.

And yes, this shuts a lot of functions down, which is relatively stupid, considering it is a parking brake issue and not an actual braking issue.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If indeed that works (also opening and slamming the driver's door), then it points to the parking brake sensor/switch that tells the CPU that the parking brake is set. Find, inspect, replace or adjust that switch and it might well solve the problem.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If indeed that works (also opening and slamming the driver's door), then it points to the parking brake sensor/switch that tells the CPU that the parking brake is set. Find, inspect, replace or adjust that switch and it might well solve the problem.
NOPE TRY AGAIN. THIS TRUCK HAS ELECTRONIC PARKING BRAKE.

OP
OP
Don S

Don S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help, especially Old Raptor Guy. I'll check the wiring harnesses. I guess I could be Old Raptor Guy too, I'm 68 years old and just like the truck as a daily driver. We also tow it behind our diesel pusher motorhome.