2019 Gen2 Brake Lights stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonas_W

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm Jonas from Germany. I recently bought a 2019 gen2 (Lobo) Raptor with ~38k mls on.

The other day a guy driving behind me told me, that my brake lights are not working. After checking myself they indeed did not light up when hitting the brake pedal. All other lights are working though. I know they'd been working before, because the car got TÜV checked after I acquired it.

So far I replaced the brake pedal switch and checked the following fuses: BCM (#4), BCM 1 (#25), BCM 2 (#76) as well fuse #14 ("Brake ON/OFF switch) in the passenger footwell. All fuses are good.

Is there any bad connection known to fail? Connector on the tail light itself or somewhere else? Any other ideas? More fuses to check?
Any idea is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonas

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi man, welcome , you learn here, members like (as all forum)a first introduce message with short presentation and some pics of your truck, otherwise, otherwise, you will see whats happen :Big Laugh:

Well, for your issue , I suppose electric wire have been moified in order to be in european color rules , doesn't it ? Turn signal are orange ? or, are they still in OEM configuration in red color with brake stop light as everywhere in US ? So, if wire have been changed, no doubt problem come from this modification, often done by "clowns", you have may rust in connector or earth/mass problem...

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Welcome. The brake lamps are powered by the BCM, you’ll want to download ForScan and obtain a compatible adapter to pull DTCs and diagnose the cause.

OP
OP
J

Jonas_W

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies and sorry for not introducing myself first.
You can see the Raptor here: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/gen2-raptor-in-germany.101153/

Regarding modifications on the light setup. I'm not quite sure if they've done modifications on the tail lights since it's the Mexico version. But I'll check that.

I'll also try to get a hand on an adapter to do a diagnose.

Is there a free wiring diagram for the tai lights available somewhere?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies and sorry for not introducing myself first.
You can see the Raptor here: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/gen2-raptor-in-germany.101153/

Regarding modifications on the light setup. I'm not quite sure if they've done modifications on the tail lights since it's the Mexico version. But I'll check that.

I'll also try to get a hand on an adapter to do a diagnose.

Is there a free wiring diagram for the tai lights available somewhere?
It’s not free, but it’s only $26 to get the Workshop and wiring diagrams from Ford. It’s a 72 hour subscription, so just download/print what you need.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It makes me wonder if there was a “hacked” connection for the tail lights themselves. Have you --carefully-- pulled the tail lights to check?
I would also definitely check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)

Everything is run by computer on the 17+ Raptors.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
hi. is there an extra brake light on that bed rack/roll bar?

owners manual has the fuse locations so start there, and if you dont have that, fordpass mobile app also has some manuals in there..

OP
OP
J

Jonas_W

Reaction score
It’s not free, but it’s only $26 to get the Workshop and wiring diagrams from Ford. It’s a 72 hour subscription, so just download/print what you need.

Thanks for the link. That's just what I was searching for.

Update on the problem: it seems there was modification done as @julien194b suggested. Also there was a significant amount of water in both lights...
I will work my way through the wiring diagrams and check where the last connection is with a working brake light and turning signal. Mass contact seems to be ok since the red rear DRL is working just fine.

In the picture below, when does the highlighted section of the rear light normally turn on?

s-l1600.jpg