Auxillary Switch Lost Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dannyg

Reaction score
Hello everyone, first post here. I've read through a bunch of threads and haven't found a solution to this problem, so I would appreciate any help, ideas.

Recently got a ADD chase rack installed with 6 Rigid Cube lights (2 amps each) on Raptor 37 2023. The technicians used Auxillary switches 2, 3 and 4 cause those had the highest amp rating. Nothing was done to Aux 1 cause those had the factory fog lights. They did Two cube lights per switch. Everything was working fine until I turned on Aux 1 to 4 at the same time. All the lights lost power that moment including Aux 1 (fog lights). I noticed that when the switches are off, they have the blue light. When I try turning them on, the orange light on switches 1-4 no longer turns on, switches 5-6 turn on as usual. I doubt that 4 fuses blew up at the same time, but I checked them just to be sure and they look fine. Any ideas of what am I missing? Is there a relay that powers Aux switches 1-4 specifically since 5-6 are fine, could the overhead module have shorted out, can a battery reset fix anything here? I'm really out of ideas. Please help. Sorry if i'm missing something obvious, not an electrician or car expert.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check each aux wire for continuity. This might lead to what’s wrong.

Did the installer add relays to the switches or wire direct w-o relays?

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the troubleshooting if you can figure out how. You can try disconnecting the new wires one at a time as you troubleshoot v

Maybe Car Stereo Company or Ford Tech One will check in with fine guidance as to how to proceed.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do the troubleshooting if you can figure out how. You can try disconnecting the new wires one at a time as you troubleshoot v

Maybe Car Stereo Company or Ford Tech One will check in with fine guidance as to how to proceed.
ya know.... you gotta learn to mention me correctly. im not always a forum whóre. i do have other things to do than troll frf. i try to read everyones mind, but doesnt always happen. luckily i was able to read yours.

i dont think there should be a blue light on the switches? first thought would be to check the grounds. if they wired directly to the switch without relays, that could be the problem. i always use relays regardless of the amperage rating. what is the amperage rating of the switches anyways? i think if they all went at once theres a chance the switch panel took a shit. i would disconnect everything but aux 1. see if it works. double check the fuses, dont assume they are fine. from there, fill me in. and dont be a rookie use @ before my name so i dont have to read minds

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
im not always a forum whóre
FIFY :-D

The technicians used Auxillary switches 2, 3 and 4 cause those had the highest amp rating. Nothing was done to Aux 1 cause those had the factory fog lights. They did Two cube lights per switch. Everything was working fine until I turned on Aux 1 to 4 at the same time. All the lights lost power that moment including Aux 1 (fog lights). I noticed that when the switches are off, they have the blue light. When I try turning them on, the orange light on switches 1-4 no longer turns on, switches 5-6 turn on as usual.

I think Noah has the most likely cause, they probably combined the ground and did it improperly, but I wouldn’t rule out a short. The +12 V from the 3 respective circuits are independent, so ideally you have +12v on all 6 feeds with the switches on. I would validate whether or not you have power at the individual up fitter feeds first. Then, trace the wiring back to your lights and look for anything that would compromise the wires. they should not be bent over and folded, clamped too tightly, crimped, pinched, cut or broken. If you trace back successfully, pull a light and directly connect to the battery to rule in or out a ‘load’ problem. if the light doesn’t work, I’d be very concerned. That’s less likely but possible.

Since all 3 of the up fitters are affected, my suspicion is a short, and possibly blown up fitter fuses. If you find blown up fitter fuses DO NOT JUST RECONNECT with good fuses !!! Figure out what caused the fuses to blow.

DON’T PUT BIGGER AMP fuses in.

Good luck and please let us know what you find!

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also check all of the wiring for proper crimps, splices, grounds. Make sure that the installer did not use any SkotchLok type splices that partially sever the already very thin wires.

Best of luck with your journey

OP
OP
D

dannyg

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions, I have the car in the shop right now, picking it up later today. From what the techs told me it sounds like the switches themselves failed, I just went ahead an ordered the eplacement on ebay. Hoping that takes care of the issue and then rewire everything with relays. I'll keep you guys updated.