does this sound familiar to anyone...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just noticed a metallic brushing sound coming from the rear of the truck. I live down a dirt road so it is entirely possible that its a pebble stuck up in the caliper or something but I haven't had a chance to yank one or both of the rear wheels.

The one thing that concerns me is, typically when you have something stuck in the brakes, the noise will go away when you step on the brakes - this noise does not. The only other thing it could be is maybe the emergency brake/drum system has shit the bed (VA rust could have popped one of the springs).

I haven't climbed under and tested the u-joints but it doesn't sound or feel like a u-joint or axle bearings.

It's been cold and rainy here - as soon as I can I'll pull the wheels and take pictures of whatever I find.

D

Deleted member 12951

Had the same noise. But mine was we just replaced all rotors and pads and the guy helping me put a pad on backwards. Needless to say, I had to get another rotor and pad.

Fred

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brake pads worn. I know on same cares you get a similar noise letting you know time to place the pads...just a thought

OP
OP
WarSurfer

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

It 'shouldn't' be the pads or rotors, they have less than 7k miles on them. I did a cursory inspection of the rotors (through the wheels and from under truck looking between the shield and the caliper - the rotor surface seems fine and the pads have plenty of meat left.

I'm hoping it isn't the emergency brake/drum setup inside the rear rotors. My neighbor has a King Ranch and he had all that crap come apart. I had to instruct him on the proper use of a sledge to get the rear rotors off so we could fix it.