You order a truck & the dealership allows others to test drive YOUR truck. WWYD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

air00mike

Reaction score
So let's say you special order a truck, put a down payment, sign the purchase agreement, etc, and once it comes in at the dealership, they allow other people to test drive it...

Would you rage the F&$#K out or let it slide?

Question inspired by a YouTube video I recently watched where a reviewer stated the vehicle he was reviewing was already sold and just awaiting the owner's pick up. He was redlining the engine and launching it from a stop throughout the vid. Made my blood boil a bit and it wasn't even my ride lol.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So let's say you special order a truck, put a down payment, sign the purchase agreement, etc, and once it comes in at the dealership, they allow other people to test drive it...

Question inspired by a YouTube video I recently watched where a reviewer stated the vehicle he was reviewing was already sold and just awaiting the owner's pick up. He was redlining the engine and launching it from a stop throughout the vid. Made my blood boil a bit and it wasn't even my ride lol.

It shouldn't happen, but I had a dealership allow me to drive somebody's truck so I could compare it to how my truck was driving. My truck felt like it was missing, and the dealership agreed, but as it turns out, the truck they let me test drive did the same thing. I'm sure they told him the miles were just part of their test drive to ensure that everything was working fine. Contrary to the video you watched, I was especially nice and careful with the truck and kept the test drive to a minimum.

Fender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You then use this event as a negotiation card, discounts, < msrp, parts or whatever

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Very few people drive a vehicle harder than I do, so it isn't that big of a deal. Modern engines also don't require a regimented breakin procedure and there is no appreciable difference between FRF members who babied their truck the first 1k miles versus those that drove off the dealer's lot like they stole it.

That said, if it was an ordered truck and they didn't ask my permission to give a test ride, I would be annoyed if it had a lot of extra mileage on it at pickup.

Hamm3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd throw an amazingly large bitch fit. Past that, I don't know.
For reference, would you link the mentioned video?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I think this would be incredibly unlikely and possibly made up, just like MGD’s ford ownership credentials ! :biggrin:

My truck was one of the ones Ford held back for extra QA testing so it arrived with over 100 miles on it. When it did, the dealer was meticulous about accounting for the truck’s movement and documented mileage, gave me the punch list and doc from Ford - posted here, BTW.

Sales Mangler said - nobody drives anything that has a deposit on it, special orders, etc. Period. I realize there are dishonest people, but that would definitely count as unethical behavior.

still, how many have scored a Raptor test drive without having money / paperwork ready? From reports here, it’s under 1 percent.

Dehman

Reaction score
When I was looking for new gen2, I noticed some with 50+, 100+ miles which I didn’t understand... I bought my 17AG with 12 miles. I’m accustomed to buying new higher-end vehicles with <5 miles, so even 12 miles seemed high to me. Did any of you buy new with lots of miles?