Thoughts on new Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hugepops77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So as we have all had our Raptors for a month or longer now - what is everyone's thoughts on the new transmission? Thanks!

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So as we have all had our Raptors for a month or longer now - what is everyone's thoughts on the new transmission? Thanks!

I am not overly impressed. My thoughts are as follows:
1) Truck doesn't shift nearly as well when it is cold
2) I do not like how it skips 2nd and 4th gear in Normal mode. There is a slightly longer and noticeable delay in comparison to the other shifts
3) My truck frequently upshifts too early when accelerating very slowly and then has a surging motion due to being in too tall of a gear. I usually push on the gas pedal to get it to kick back down to a lower gear, but then I end up accelerated when I do not want to be accelerating.
4) Transmission is like Jeckyll and Hyde. On some trips it shifts amazingly well. On other trips, it seems like it doesn't know what to do and the shifting is erratic and far from smooth.
5) I also think it revs higher than necessary at times when it is moving its way through the gears. For example, under verrrry mild acceleration on level ground, it will hold at close to 3000 RPMs and work its way through the gears. At other times, it will do the same thing at a more reasonable 2000 RPMs with no issues. Both situations occur when the truck is fully warmed up and the outside temperature is the same.

What are your thoughts?

OP
OP
H

hugepops77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You pretty much summed up my thoughts exactly! Some days, flawless.. other days - it's too jumpy between gears!

Does anyone think Ford will release a software update anytime soon for the transmission?!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I will respectfully disagree with Jeff on a few points. Not that he’s wrong, I just have a different impression.

In normal mode, or as I call it, eco-greenie mode, it’s not different from my previous Subaru. Literally. It jumps into higher gears quickly, sometimes more quickly than I would like. I’d say about 15-20% of the time, it’s riding in a higher gear than I would prefer, and rpms are loafing along at 1100 or so.

I think the gear skip feature is fine. If you stab the throttle, it doesn’t skip.

I’ve never had an automatic trans vehicle that shifted as well cold as it did warmed up to operating temp.

I’m not sure whether it’s the 4.10 gears or 1st gear in the trans or both but unless you really mean it, 1st gear seems to go by really quickly. OTOH, if I jump on it, the truck does move out sharply so maybe Ford knows a little more about this than I do.

of course keep in mind, any positive responses or feedback on the new Raptor is sasquatch bait.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxqcJD82Z4