Bed liner preference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mkarban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you prefer? Spray-in or drop-in liner, hard or soft cover? I've never used anything in the past but want to keep this one looking somewhat nice. Any advice

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What do you prefer? Spray-in or drop-in liner, hard or soft cover? I've never used anything in the past but want to keep this one looking somewhat nice. Any advice

Drop-in will trap moisture and dirt which will scratch up your bed.

Factory spray in is somewhat close to line-x but not as thick and it doesnt adhere as well nor does Ford remove bed hardware to spray it on so they will spray over bedbolts (I think, not 100% on that) and not behind tie downs.

Line-x adheres better and is sprayed on thicker. They also take off all hardware so you get better coverage and will be able to remove bed bolts if necessary. Line-x also has a lifetime warranty. Fords is 3/36.

Here is a good video of a 2016 Ford spray in vs Line-x remove and install.

Last edited:

Zeke555

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I prefer the spray in, drop in one still have a chance of getting dirt behind them and then rubbing and rusting. I have had both soft and hard coatings. My first truck I had Rhino-liner put in as it was a bit soft, worked great for my shepherd so he had a bit of traction in the back. Only real downside I found was it really held the soap in it from cleaning it no matter how much you rinsed it.
I have had Line-X in my last truck (2002 Dodge 1500 I had for 13yrs). It lasts forever and does not need more then a little rinsing. I hauled about 24 or 25 loads of large rainbow rock with my Dodge (about 4" in size) as well as a few loads of clay and dirt. After it was rinsed off you could not tell I hauled anything.
My Raptor has the Ford spray in liner that came on it from the factory but it is lasting good so far as I have only had the truck for just over a year.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I prefer the spray in, drop in one still have a chance of getting dirt behind them and then rubbing and rusting. I have had both soft and hard coatings. My first truck I had Rhino-liner put in as it was a bit soft, worked great for my shepherd so he had a bit of traction in the back. Only real downside I found was it really held the soap in it from cleaning it no matter how much you rinsed it.
I have had Line-X in my last truck (2002 Dodge 1500 I had for 13yrs). It lasts forever and does not need more then a little rinsing. I hauled about 24 or 25 loads of large rainbow rock with my Dodge (about 4" in size) as well as a few loads of clay and dirt. After it was rinsed off you could not tell I hauled anything.
My Raptor has the Ford spray in liner that came on it from the factory but it is lasting good so far as I have only had the truck for just over a year.

Could you confirm something for me....Does Ford spray over bedbolts or do they remove them before liner spray in?

Zeke555

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Box liner

Could you confirm something for me....Does Ford spray over bedbolts or do they remove them before liner spray in?

Ford sprayed right over my bolts and the plastic pieces at the front of the box too. Line-X dealers actually take the time to tape them up to make it look better, unless you ask them to spray the bed bolts.

Wolfeman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had Rhino lining, Linex, BedRug, just plain rubber bed mat - I'm giving the factory a chance this time.

Zeke555

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Box Liner

Drop-in will trap moisture and dirt which will scratch up your bed.

Factory spray in is somewhat close to line-x but not as thick and it doesnt adhere as well nor does Ford remove bed hardware to spray it on so they will spray over bedbolts (I think, not 100% on that) and not behind tie downs.

Line-x adheres better and is sprayed on thicker. They also take off all hardware so you get better coverage and will be able to remove bed bolts if necessary. Line-x also has a lifetime warranty. Fords is 3/36.

Here is a good video of a 2016 Ford spray in vs Line-x remove and install.

Holy crap that was easy to remove. Now I want to go to Line-X and have them pull out my factory liner and replace it with Line-X. Lol

chiefy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NEVER EVER A DROP IN. I can have LineX do mine with the premium spray for less then ford and will be lifetime warranty and not paying interest on it either. things i can install will not be on my build sheet.