Wyoming Red Desert Run - August 8th-9th (Pre-run Jul 31st-Aug 1st)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorWifey

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
FRF Lady
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your dad RDFTS...hope he makes a full recovery.

Wilson, you didn't, Joe sent that one back to some place in New Jersey.

Kmandoske

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I helped Jimbo set up his radio. Its a TYT TH-9000, 60W VHF radio, We did drill his roof and add an NMO mount and he was using a 12" flex antenna and I was receiving him more than 12 miles away. He could not hear me but I heard him clear as day. (We were both running Motion X and I could see him on my navigation and estimated the distance). I sell the TH-9000 radio for fro $285.00 programmed and shipped in the lower 48. I also sell a little more high end radio by TYT. The TH-9800 is a quad band radio and has CB channels 26-33 mhz, 47-54 mhz, VHF channels 108-`80 mhz and UHF channels at 320-512 MHZ range. Its a very awesome radio at 50W and the face plate is removable from the radio. I manual says that you can tX and RX on the CB channels but i have yet to program them but I'm sure it will work. I sell the TH-9800 for $310.00 programmed and shipped. I like the Quad band radio because I offroad with Jeep guys who use CB's. From what I understand the radio can also be set up as a repeater I can "Patch" threw and re-transmit CB channels onto VHF. ( I have not triad it yet but the manual says I can) If you need anything or want to discuss antenna mounting solutions look at my Facebook page at LVJ Motorsports on Facebook or send me an Email at [email protected]

PS Hucks ICOM radio has a cool feature on the microphone that allows the radio to scan selected channels when the microphone is in the cradle / mount and grounded and when you pick up the microphone from the grounded mount it locks back on the programmed channel and stays there. Its a nice feature but most all radioa ( includingthe TYT) has a scan button that work just as well.

OP
OP
WyoStorm

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is anybody good at making out a trail on Google Maps or Google Earth? I've just been starting to see how to do that but having trouble figuring out how to create a path that follows the roads. Creating the way points seem simple enough but how do you create an actual route that can be saved as say a .kmz file or a file that I could email the RDRR participants so they can see the route in their gps? Links to step by step instructions anyone??

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is anybody good at making out a trail on Google Maps or Google Earth? I've just been starting to see how to do that but having trouble figuring out how to create a path that follows the roads. Creating the way points seem simple enough but how do you create an actual route that can be saved as say a .kmz file or a file that I could email the RDRR participants so they can see the route in their gps? Links to step by step instructions anyone??
Check into @t_j's thread about making routes.

Also, backcountry navigator has a neat feature that you can connect to points via the trail when making a route. So you click a way point A and way point B, then it will follow the road to connect those points. Unlike Google maps witch will create a straight line. Making you have to click the map a million and one times.

If you want to learn about the backcountry navigator method, do a search got backcountry and look for a post from RW. She has posted directions on how to do this in the past.

Help out the family's that these heroes left behind fighting for YOUR Freedom.
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=840845
Donate now!

Yukon Joe
Great Lakes Raptor Excursions
www.runraptorrun.com

OP
OP
WyoStorm

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok. I'll look into that this evening. In playing with Google Maps, it will follow the road when you make each turn or stopping point a destination. Haven't had enough time to see if I can save and make that useful yet.

Last edited:

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You have to do it in google earth then output the kmz. It won't give you turn by turn just a path as a guide, it will take lots of clicks to get the path

kkitowski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am debating if I can make it or not. Getting low on vacation from work. 18hr (but easy) drive for me from WI. Too bad it wasn't a long weekend, then it would be an easy decision!

OP
OP
WyoStorm

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Straight west with a little wiggle southwest and you're here! No sweat lol! Hope you find some time!