Winter conditions planning out West

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Trying to figure out if I would need chains or not, is there high mountain pass's on this route? Haven't decided if I'm towing my trailer and how or if I am making this trip down south this winter. I have travelled at least 100 times down the 101 and #5, but this time I would be going down highway 395 through Washington state joining up at Highway 84 and then onto highway 93 at Twin Falls to Vegas and further south. Also curious if there are a lot or a few rest stops on the way. Thanks.

OP
OP
CoronaRaptor

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If there is a better slower dryer route, I am open to that as well, I won't be in much of a hurry.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't know about 395. There are passes between Pendleton and Ontario on I-84. They aren't high, but may get a lot of snow. Once you get into Idaho it should be smooth sailing with no passes that I can recall. The weather is better out east, it doesn't snow nearly as much. It's much drier so if it does snow it won't pack into slimy ice. It's much sunnier so if it does snow it melts quickly. It's more scenic and less crowded. Everything costs less. Other than that, it's no better than I-5. :)

OP
OP
CoronaRaptor

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't know about 395. There are passes between Pendleton and Ontario on I-84. They aren't high, but may get a lot of snow. Once you get into Idaho it should be smooth sailing with no passes that I can recall. The weather is better out east, it doesn't snow nearly as much. It's much drier so if it does snow it won't pack into slimy ice. It's much sunnier so if it does snow it melts quickly. It's more scenic and less crowded. Everything costs less. Other than that, it's no better than I-5. :)
It's a lot quicker this route, when I lived on the ocean it was a no brainer to drive #5 all the way, but I'm 4-5 hours inland over the snow-capped mountains now, so hwy 97 south across the border through Moses Lake is the only way to go.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to figure out if I would need chains or not, is there high mountain pass's on this route? Haven't decided if I'm towing my trailer and how or if I am making this trip down south this winter. I have travelled at least 100 times down the 101 and #5, but this time I would be going down highway 395 through Washington state joining up at Highway 84 and then onto highway 93 at Twin Falls to Vegas and further south. Also curious if there are a lot or a few rest stops on the way. Thanks.
I live near Twin, you shouldn't have any problems with mountain passes. Just have 3 peak rated tires and you are good to go unless there's high winds between Wells, NV and Ely. Make sure you get fuel in Wells and Ely though, can be long stretches of no fuel or services.

OP
OP
CoronaRaptor

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I live near Twin, you shouldn't have any problems with mountain passes. Just have 3 peak rated tires and you are good to go unless there's high winds between Wells, NV and Ely. Make sure you get fuel in Wells and Ely though, can be long stretches of no fuel or services.
I'm driving on Ko2's, but when you tow a trailer sometimes they make you stop and put chains on the back of your truck and one on each axle of your trailer. I used to have chains but got rid of them as I wasn't using my trailer anymore, I didn't want to have to buy chains again, they are stupid expensive for the raptor, I had to buy semi chains and have them cut to fit on the side of the road, lol. I'm not doing that crap anymore! Too old for that, would buy a $1000 plane ticket before I put chains on my Raptor again.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm driving on Ko2's, but when you tow a trailer sometimes they make you stop and put chains on the back of your truck and one on each axle of your trailer. I used to have chains but got rid of them as I wasn't using my trailer anymore, I didn't want to have to buy chains again, they are stupid expensive for the raptor, I had to buy semi chains and have them cut to fit on the side of the road, lol. I'm not doing that crap anymore! Too old for that, would buy a $1000 plane ticket before I put chains on my Raptor again.
To avoid chain restrictions at all costs, you may want to consider taking I-80 East from Wells to SLC, then I-15 South to Vegas and that should help you avoid any real winter conditions that would require chains. Will add a couple of hours to your drive time, but be a much easier drive overall (and more scenic for what it is worth to you).

OP
OP
CoronaRaptor

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To avoid chain restrictions at all costs, you may want to consider taking I-80 East from Wells to SLC, then I-15 South to Vegas and that should help you avoid any real winter conditions that would require chains. Will add a couple of hours to your drive time, but be a much easier drive overall (and more scenic for what it is worth to you).
That's great, I would rather enjoy the view and take my time and not deal with the chance of really deep snow, etc.