Windshield replacement and calibrations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmarkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my 2019 windshield crack back early 2020. It was a warranty replacement as it cracked on the inside because they left a piece of metal in there between the glass and frame. Is the automatic windshield washer one of the things that require calibration? I finally had a chance to use it on the road for a good 3 hrs of constant/consistent rain. I find that even though the rain is consistent the wiper would often change speeds to full out and even complete pause for a couple of seconds. Could calibration be the issue? What all requires calibration when the windshield is changed?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is a camera at the top of the windshield, above the rear view mirror. This camera is what lane assist uses...

OP
OP
dmarkh

dmarkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think it uses that camera as well but I wouldn't think it would require calibration to detect rain droplets.
Well it does more than detect rain droplets. I senses how much rain and controls the speed of the wipers. More rain, faster the wipers sweep. No rain, no sweep. The thing is, it doesn't work right. I'm wondering where the sensor is so I can make sure it's clear. I am having the same issue described in this thread https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/rain-sensing.59714/ post #10 from dieseldude.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah i'm not sure where the rain sensor is. YOu would think it uses the camera but who knows? My point was, if it does use the camera that the lane sensor uses, it would not require calibration for rain, only to center the camera for the lanes (if that makes sense).

OP
OP
dmarkh

dmarkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah i'm not sure where the rain sensor is. YOu would think it uses the camera but who knows? My point was, if it does use the camera that the lane sensor uses, it would not require calibration for rain, only to center the camera for the lanes (if that makes sense).
I found this:

The sensor is mounted in contact with the inside of the windshield, near the rear view mirror. The sensor projects infrared light into the windshield at a 45-degree angle. If the glass is dry, most of this light is reflected back into the sensor by the front of the windshield.

So my guess is it doesn't require calibration.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s in the pod behind the rearview. Mine leaks clear oil down the windshield. I’m not sure it needs calibration but it does need a very clean surface for proper installation. Mine’s been replaced for leaking and the second one leaks worse. I’m not taking it back in. Sometimes the wiper sensitivity is just off.

MCarlisle

Reaction score
I've had to replace a windshield on a new car with what they called an acoustic glass windshield that required some type of calibration. The non OEM glass was significantly less expensive and available next day. Due to the car being new my insurance broker advised I hold out for OEM. The calibration required was explained by more than one tech, all were vague and no two were the same. However the takeaway was to get OEM or expect a noticable amount of increased road noise. Was something new to me. Hope this helps.