Window Tint ticket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cage1993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BOJANGLES said:
That must be an East TX thing... I've never seen those stickers out West. I've had illegal tint on almost every vehicle I've ever owned and never has a TX cop given me anything more than a verbal warning about it.

Just got my fronts tinted in Lamesa, TX and they put those stickers on. They said it was state law, no clue if that's true, but if it keeps a cop from pestering me about it, then I'm all for it, I do enough on my own to get ticketed for I don't need something questionable that puts the onus on me to prove or disprove in court. I know there are still some back alley places you can get whatever you want done around though. I had never seen or heard of these stickers before getting this truck done.

OP
OP
RedTailHawk

RedTailHawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in va and have the same tint. You can get a medical waiver that allows your current situation. With all the skin cancer out there and if you have a lot of "windshield" time it should be easy for a doctor to sign off on for you. The form is on DMVs website for the waiver.

The purpose, IMO, for the tint issue was to ensure the cops could see into your vehicle when they approach. You, again IMO, rolled down your windows to take that issue off the table.

As far as the front plate, I got two driving awards for not having one on my vette. Third time you can't prepay and must go to court. I will say that in Va most judges do NOT appreciate troppers handing out BS tickets for front plates and tint. They should have better things to do and I have personally seen a tropper remanded by a judge.

Sounds like this tropper was just looking to make a quick buck for the treasury. What a waste of resources.

Yep. He said I could get the plate fixed and then have the ticket dropped in court. I said it would cost me more in gas money to get back down to southern VA than to just pay the ticket. I chalk it up as my donation to the Policemen's Ball...

I will definitely look for the DMV waiver and take it to my dermatologist for signature.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm not saying what they do or don't do but just for information, SCOTUS has ruled that dark window tint does not, in and of itself, meet the criteria as probable cause. It is an articulable fact which needs additional factors observed to reach PC.

That being said, people, including my coworkers do stuff all the time that's in the gray areas.

~BGM

This is news to me. Thanks BGM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc