GEN 2 will there be a carbon-fiber driveshaft available?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not entirely enthusiastic with the aluminum alloy driveshaft. The thinking behind that must be similar to the new aluminum body - lighten the weight to meet fleet EPA mileage goals at the expense of durability. In an off-road truck, that's a bad calculus.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not entirely enthusiastic with the aluminum alloy driveshaft. The thinking behind that must be similar to the new aluminum body - lighten the weight to meet fleet EPA mileage goals at the expense of durability. In an off-road truck, that's a bad calculus.

my 2012 has an aluminum driveshaft. Never heard of too many problems

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to guess, @EricM, that the steel driveshaft on your F150 rusted because the paint had come off, and that the paint came off due to impacts with road debris. But it didn't dent because it's steel. Aluminum is less immune to impact than steel, and once an aluminum driveshaft gets dented it'll go out of balance and must be replaced. When that happens to my truck, I'll be replacing it with a steel unit and in one purchase solve the problem for as long as it's on the road.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the aluminum driveshaft in my Silverado 2500HD with steel several years ago. Weight is not much of a concern on a 7000# truck and it was a good trade off for durability.

OP
OP
Toadster

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I replaced the aluminum driveshaft in my Silverado 2500HD with steel several years ago. Weight is not much of a concern on a 7000# truck and it was a good trade off for durability.

it's not added weight to the overall vehicle that the benefit comes from, it's the reduction of spinning mass that improves overall mileage, performance...

somewhat like a lighter flywheel in a manual transmission vehicle...

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to guess, @EricM, that the steel driveshaft on your F150 rusted because the paint had come off, and that the paint came off due to impacts with road debris. But it didn't dent because it's steel. Aluminum is less immune to impact than steel, and once an aluminum driveshaft gets dented it'll go out of balance and must be replaced. When that happens to my truck, I'll be replacing it with a steel unit and in one purchase solve the problem for as long as it's on the road.

I think it was bare steel from the get go- just like the brakes, suspension arms, rear axle etc. Actually they may have made it from rust to start with, just so, you know- it would be sure to rust.

I've never heard of a failed aluminum driveshaft without 1000 Hp and a drag strip being involved, so - not worried.