Will 2018's have a V-8 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm going to assume 450HP stock (crank)
So around 400WHP + 50HP tune and +50HP E85 so 500WHP at a MINIMUM
I would also guess 500TQ + 75 tune and + 75 E85 so 650WTQ at a MINIMUM
The TQ is key, the truck already moves smartly in my '15 stock, the new Raptor stock will already be amazing stock as well with 100+ more TQ already.

400 RWHP stock seems generous in a Raptor. Driveline losses in these trucks are closer to 20% than 10% in my experience. But even with your numbers they won't be more powerful than supercharged Gen 1s. At 500 RWHP they would probably be faster due to the weight difference but drag racing is really not what Raptors are made for.

I'd be in a Platinum if I wanted a street truck.

Gilligan

Reaction score
400 RWHP stock seems generous in a Raptor. Driveline losses in these trucks are closer to 20% than 10% in my experience. But even with your numbers they won't be more powerful than supercharged Gen 1s. At 500 RWHP they would probably be faster due to the weight difference but drag racing is really not what Raptors are made for.

I'd be in a Platinum if I wanted a street truck.

I was weary of that also but ADD confirmed the '17 walks away from their Shelby Raptor. I am surprised by that, very impressive.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was weary of that also but ADD confirmed the '17 walks away from their Shelby Raptor. I am surprised by that, very impressive.

The Shelby with all the aftermarket stuff has to be very heavy.

I don't doubt these new lighter trucks are quick. I do have a hard time believing they'll make 700 horsepower with just a tune. Happy to be proven wrong, though. There's definitely an EB V8 in the pipeline, whether it makes it into a Raptor or not. I'd definitely buy a Lightning with one and I'd have to seriously think about a GT500.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all this talk about hp..... it sounds like you are planning on taking your 2nd gen raptor to a drag race or a tractor pull. any gen 1 owner will tell you that first priority, you dont need more power offroad. you need suspension parts. the motor doesnt struggle driving offroad. your suspension does. it just seems pointless to compare these numbers. these arent prerunners, and although people want to turn them into one, they arent the greatest platform to start with. forget numbers, i want to see a side by side race in the desert over rough terrain to see how well the new suspension setup works compared to the our gen 1.

4DRHTRD

Reaction score
all this talk about hp..... it sounds like you are planning on taking your 2nd gen raptor to a drag race or a tractor pull. any gen 1 owner will tell you that first priority, you dont need more power offroad. you need suspension parts. the motor doesnt struggle driving offroad. your suspension does. it just seems pointless to compare these numbers. these arent prerunners, and although people want to turn them into one, they arent the greatest platform to start with. forget numbers, i want to see a side by side race in the desert over rough terrain to see how well the new suspension setup works compared to the our gen 1.
Well the truck is for my wife to use as her DD and for me to play with and take to the track occasionally and have fun. We all use them in different ways. :)
I also like to make thing have big HP and love doing it on turbo vehicles. Nothing wrong with a 12 second on the street Raptor, will be fun.
She likes driving big ass trucks and has wanted a Raptor for years but I refused to buy her a 9MPG DD but not am willing to get her a 10MPG on E85 DD. :p

Gilligan

Reaction score

Agreed. Having an engine that out performs your suspension is pointless. But it does show who Ford is marketing this truck for.

FarFromStock

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been in the camp that thinks the Raptor already has more power than the suspension can handle, offroad. But who can argue with having a truck that is also able to hold its own on the streets? I'd sure love to have a shit-ton of torque in a 3 ton truck for those occasional "spirited" street opportunities. I'm definitely a dual-purpose vehicle advocate.

I'll just leave this here for attention: https://www.facebook.com/StadiumSuperTrucks/videos/989967491102516/

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Pretty impressive passes with just a tune. Actually it'd still be impressive if they had more than just a tune. @4DRHTRD Based on the way they get out of the hole I'm guessing 4WD launch?

4DRHTRD

Reaction score
Pretty impressive passes with just a tune. Actually it'd still be impressive if they had more than just a tune. @4DRHTRD Based on the way they get out of the hole I'm guessing 4WD launch?
Yeah for sure.
These trucks routinely get 1.7 and 1.8 60's on 4WD HI or 4A launches.
Our '15 is a neck breaker on the street